Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: La metal with Bi
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-10-2008 at 11:42

Quote:
Originally posted by watson.fawkes

It will take a bit of equipment construction, to be sure, not the least because you'll likely need an argon shield. Sorry, am I making a big project for you?

Please dont, your going to make me cry :D

The thing is what kind of tube am I going to find which is suitable to melt this stuff in, its fairly easy to obtain fused quartz tubes but not capped ended ones.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-10-2008 at 13:17

Quote:
Originally posted by D4RR3N
The thing is what kind of tube am I going to find which is suitable to melt this stuff in, its fairly easy to obtain fused quartz tubes but not capped ended ones.
Are you set on making LaBi, or will LaBi<sub>2</sub> do? You can get that by dissolving some La in liquid bismuth and crystallizing out. This is "just like" precipitating out insolubles in water, except for "water" read "bismuth" and for "room temperature" (implicit) read "low-melting alloy temperature", say 500&deg; C. Melt some bismuth, toss in a limiting amount of La, stir, cool it off to, say, 300&deg; C, so your solvent remains liquid, pour it over a filter, say, brass mesh, and collect LaBi<sub>2</sub> crystals.

So why will this work? Look at the phase diagram. There's a quadrilateral with a vertical edge at 2/3 Bi, a horizontal edge at 271&deg; C (the melting point of Bi), another horizontal edge at 932&deg; C (the melting point of LaBi<sub>2</sub>), and a downward-sloping curved edge connecting the triple point of Bi-LaBi-LaBi<sub>2</sub> with the melting point of pure Bi. Within this region you have solid LaBi<sub>2</sub> in equilibrium with liquid Bi and liquid LaBi<sub>2</sub>. Hence simple physical phase separation is feasible.

The phase diagram does not directly address solubility. This is relevant to how much La you'll tie up in your Bi/LaBi<sub>2</sub> mother liquor after it solidifies. A priori, there's no universal principle to predict this. It depends on whether the compounds can form a single crystal lattice (think "water of crystallization"), whether they act like a non-interacting alloy mixture, whether there is a solid-solid solution phase, or any number of odd things the solid state can do.

I might also point out that LaBi<sub>2</sub> is a good candidate for a precursor to practical LaBi synthesis, since you're rejecting some of the exothermic heat of formation in the precursor step. Check the heats of formation of these compounds to see just how advantageous that might be. I would also expect that once the La has formed LaBi<sub>2</sub>, it's much less susceptible to oxidation.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 14-10-2008 at 14:56

Quote:
@not_important: Great phase diagram! One of the more interesting I've seen, with both positive and negative azeotropic aspects. (Not the best word, since properly "zeotrope" refers to liquid-gas transitions, but I digress.)

The minima are eutectic points and the "incongruent melting" (like LaBi2 decomposing into LaBi and melt at 932°C) are peritectics. Regions between straight lines are completely solid phase (but note that there may be solid state reactions taking place, which can look very similar to eutectics (= eutectoid) and such; this diagram however is quite straightforward over 5% Bi), while regions bounded by a curve are "mushy" (liquid + solid). The region above the curves is liquid.

Quote:
@D4RR3N: The horizontal line at 932&deg; C is the melting point of LaBi<sub>2</sub>; above this line this compound is liquid. Now look at the rectangular region from 50%-75% Bi and 932&deg; - 1615&deg; C. Below the curved line is a mixture of liquid LaBi<sub>2</sub> and solid LaBi. This is the crystal-pulling range of this mixture.

Part of this region is within the stated 1100&deg; range of your furnace. You might be able to pull solid crystals out of the melt. It will take a bit of equipment construction, to be sure, not the least because you'll likely need an argon shield. Sorry, am I making a big project for you?

Crystal pulling? Mmmmm lovely...a bit ambitious though I think? Pulling crystals from a peritectic, hmm... as you remove LaBi from solution, melting point drops, so not only do you need careful temperature control, you need it to track concentration! I suppose if you made a device which, like, tracks the width of the boule and regulated the temperature (over the long term) based on that, it would work for any method...hmm... that sounds like fun!

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 05:46

Quote:
Quote:
Are you set on making LaBi, or will LaBi<sub>2</sub> do? You can get that by dissolving some La in liquid bismuth and crystallizing out. This is "just like" precipitating out insolubles in water, except for "water" read "bismuth" and for "room temperature" (implicit) read "low-melting alloy temperature", say 500&deg; C. Melt some bismuth, toss in a limiting amount of La, stir, cool it off to, say, 300&deg; C, so your solvent remains liquid, pour it over a filter, say, brass mesh, and collect LaBi<sub>2</sub> crystals.

So why will this work? Look at the phase diagram. There's a quadrilateral with a vertical edge at 2/3 Bi, a horizontal edge at 271&deg; C (the melting point of Bi), another horizontal edge at 932&deg; C (the melting point of LaBi<sub>2</sub>;), and a downward-sloping curved edge connecting the triple point of Bi-LaBi-LaBi<sub>2</sub> with the melting point of pure Bi. Within this region you have solid LaBi<sub>2</sub> in equilibrium with liquid Bi and liquid LaBi<sub>2</sub>. Hence simple physical phase separation is feasible.

The phase diagram does not directly address solubility. This is relevant to how much La you'll tie up in your Bi/LaBi<sub>2</sub> mother liquor after it solidifies. A priori, there's no universal principle to predict this. It depends on whether the compounds can form a single crystal lattice (think "water of crystallization"), whether they act like a non-interacting alloy mixture, whether there is a solid-solid solution phase, or any number of odd things the solid state can do.

I might also point out that LaBi<sub>2</sub> is a good candidate for a precursor to practical LaBi synthesis, since you're rejecting some of the exothermic heat of formation in the precursor step. Check the heats of formation of these compounds to see just how advantageous that might be. I would also expect that once the La has formed LaBi<sub>2</sub>, it's much less susceptible to oxidation.

Well when I started out I did not know that LaBi2 existed so I assumed you mix La with Bi and get LaBi. I think it would be interesting to make some of each. I was going to weigh out 40% La and 60% Bi and heat the mixture in a sealed evacuated tube. The Borosilicate tube would be ok for making LaBi2 but looking at the diagram its not going to be useful for making LaBi.

Will LaBi be prone to rapid oxidation or will the Bi prevent this?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 11:56

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
Crystal pulling? Mmmmm lovely...a bit ambitious though I think? Pulling crystals from a peritectic, hmm...
Well, yeah, ambitious. Probably not recommended for the original poster.
Quote:
as you remove LaBi from solution, melting point drops, so not only do you need careful temperature control, you need it to track concentration! I suppose if you made a device which, like, tracks the width of the boule and regulated the temperature (over the long term) based on that, it would work for any method...hmm... that sounds like fun!
Yeah, it's an interesting technology problem. I'd imagine the easiest way to solve it is to make a powder dispenser that put the same amount into the melt that the pulling was taking out.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 13:07

Quote:
Well when I started out I did not know that LaBi2 existed so I assumed you mix La with Bi and get LaBi. I think it would be interesting to make some of each.
Well, start with LaBi<sub>2</sub>. Without new equipment, it's unlikely you'll reach LaBi.
Quote:
I was going to weigh out 40% La and 60% Bi and heat the mixture in a sealed evacuated tube.
Look at the phase diagram closely before you do. You're likely to get unreacted La at the temperatures you can reach.
Quote:
Will LaBi be prone to rapid oxidation or will the Bi prevent this?
Figure out the La oxidation state. Compute the energy of formation.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-10-2008 at 02:15

The mass percent composition of LaBi is 39.9285% La and 60.0715% Bi

The mass percent composition for LaBi2 is 24.9441% La and 75.0559% Bi

If my target is LaBi2 I will heat 25% La with 75% Bi in a Sealed tube at 500C
If my target is LaBi I will heat 40% La with 60% Bi in a sealed tube at 1100C

If the reaction is exothermic then there should be some self heating effect which will raise the temp of the mixture above the maximum temp of my furnace?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2008 at 09:33

Quote:
The mass percent composition of LaBi is 39.9285% La and 60.0715% Bi
Ah. Since we had been talking about the phase diagram, I had assumed you were still talking molar percentages.
Quote:
If the reaction is exothermic then there should be some self heating effect which will raise the temp of the mixture above the maximum temp of my furnace?
The maximum temperature of your furnace refers to its ability to heat, not its ability to withstand heat. What you might well worry about is the capacity of your various refractories. If you're using borosilicate as a refractory (which it is compared to flint glass), then it would be useful to estimate the temperature rise before you do anything above microscale. You'll need to know the heats of formation and the heat capacities.
D4RR3N
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-10-2008 at 13:10

I dont know how exothermic the reaction is going to be, I would actually have to heat a small quantity to see how violent the reaction is, I hope its nothing like a thermite reaction:o
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top