Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: isoamyl nitrite
timbudtwo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 14:41
isoamyl nitrite

Yes I have used the search and have found little conclusive info.

I am aware of the reaction of H2SO4 With an Alcohol and a Nitrite (commonly Sodium Nitrite) to give an ester of n-nitrite. Most synthesis using these instructions refer to isobutyl nitrite, after using butyl alcohol. However, I am interested in creating this with use of an amyl alcohol. The question I have is would the alcohol just be 1-pentanol, or the 3-pentanol?

[Edited on 15-10-2008 by timbudtwo]
kclo4
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 15:35

This should help, since it shows the structure of the Isoamyl alcohol, and also many other variations of amyl alcohol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyl_alcohol

Pretty sure we didn't want to know your use :) its best to leave our discussions as if they were theoretical. Especially when it comes to making pharmaceuticals and energetic materials. At least that is what I understand of the rules.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 17:54

Sent to Beginnings, although this is really a short-questions-thread post.
Check also this:
https://sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5598

The principles apply to isoamylnitrite, too.

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
timbudtwo
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 19:41

Well, I am not using it for anything sexual of that sort. I am just calling it by its common name.

I was just unsure of using isoamyl alcohol as it contains a methyl group and I was afraid of having a methyl nitrite come about as they are rather volatile, at least more-so than than butyl or amyl.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 19:52

Quote:
Originally posted by timbudtwo
Well, I am not using it for anything sexual of that sort. I am just calling it by its common name.

I was just unsure of using isoamyl alcohol as it contains a methyl group and I was afraid of having a methyl nitrite come about as they are rather volatile, at least more-so than than butyl or amyl.

Foremost, this is a science/chemistry forum, not one about enhancing your sexual gratification.

You must be joking, surely?
Why should a random methyl group in isoamyl alcohol produce methyl nitrite?

[Edited on 16-10-2008 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
timbudtwo
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-10-2008 at 20:35

You are right, I shouldnt be using it for sexual enhancement, which is exactly why I made special mention of that fact. :D I guess I need to make myself more clear and void of humor. I will edit the first post of such. I figured with my reference to huffing it wouldn't be taken literally.

I was not specific enough - Would the methyl group in isoamyl nitrite tend to be more volatile than if I used amyl nitrite, or pentanol?
jarynth
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 16-10-2008 at 00:07

No, it won't fly away, it's stuck to the rest of the molecule.

'Amyl' and 'pentyl' are synonyms. They encompass several isomers, of which 'isoamyl' is a particular one. I assume you're comparing it to the n-amyl (or n-pentyl) group. n-Amyl nitrite boils at 104°C, while the 'iso' isomer boils at 99°C, so yeah, I guss the latter is more volatile, but the difference is minimal (the 'sexual' effect shouldn't vary much either, I reckon).

Given two isomeric alkyl groups, the more 'branched' one will generally confer a lower bp to the molecule, as it's harder to polarize than a straight chain etc.

Go To Top