Printable Version  
Author: Subject: "Who-me?"
Ozonelabs
Hazard to Others

Mood: Oligomerised

[*] posted on 23-10-2008 at 13:37
"Who-me?"

Hello there,

Ozonelabs was wondering whether anybody possesses any literature about the supposedly top secret sulphur - based US-Stench agent somewhat bizzarely named "Who-me?", equally has anybody any information on the US Government Standard Bathroom Malodor?

Thank you for your time

panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 23-10-2008 at 14:30

Not familiar myself I'm affraid but many sulphur compounds stink. Wiki says implies it was a blend of volatile sulphur compounds. Likely I'd say to be C6+ thiols perhaps cyclics such as tetrahydrothiophene etc. I use ethan-1,2-dithiol which stinks. Very rotten vegetation smelling, even on mM and uM in 1.5mL tubes stink! As for bathroom malodour, I know that skatol and tryptamine etc smell fecial, I have carbazole which does not stink but you do get a slight undertone of poo whilst using it I find, but very slight. Im sure some people must know of these, alot seemed to be posted on nerve agents, irritants, etc I'm sure those people would have stubbled across this... shit (no pun intended) ;)

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 23-10-2008 at 18:52

During WWII The technical-services department of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) created a substance that could be used to damage the morale of the Japanese Army. When placed on the uniform trousers it carried the odor and appearance of a bowel movement. The nickname was "Who, Me?" My best guess is that its active component was skatole. (N-Methylindole.) which is same in human feces.

Ref: Look up a book by the wartime chief of that department, Stan;ey Lovell, entitled "Of Spies and Strategems" The stuff is mentioned in there.

The US military has no secret stench agent. They messed around a few decades ago with pelargonic morpholide as part of their investigations of new lachrymators. This is the amide of a fatty acid with morpholine. It is not a tear gas, but is supposedly unbearable to be around. AFAIK it was never weaponized. It does not smell like feces. It was never referred to as "Who, Me>"

Neither of these substances has anything to do with sulfur.

[Edited on 24-10-2008 by Sauron]

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 10:42

Sauron: now, tell us all you know about "the brown note".
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 3-12-2008 at 14:25

I've got two questions about this. How did OSS plan on getting skatole on the Japanese uniforms? What made Ozonelabs think there was a standard US bathroom malodor? BTW mercaptans are pretty nasty too...

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 4-12-2008 at 08:03

Probably via servants, laundries, perhaps prostitutes?

As to second question I have no idea.

Mercaptams reek but not particularly like human feces.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top