Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Benzo QI-II-66
Piglet
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 06:09
Benzo QI-II-66

In place of the traditional halide or nitro at the 7 position, this compound has an ethynyl group. It was developed to find a benzo that more closely mimiced the effects of alcohol. I wonder about the addition of a '2 flouro group to increase potency. Now, the starting benzophenone is not available and reading the Chinese papers I see that they started from diazepam. I am interested to know of the most simple route to make this compound. Obviously, starting from diazepam LOOKS the simplest, but the paper uses some very wacky route. Would forming the sodium salt of ethylene allow addition?
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 08:13

.......piglet it would help if you provided a pic of the compound in question,....also welcome to the forum,... bee ........solo/java

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 23:00

If they went a very complicated route to get the final product, there is a good reason to do so. If your goal is to swap the chlorine on diazepam with an ethynyl group as in the attached image, you cannot do it by simple substitution with acetylene.

While it is true that you can deprotonate acetylene or terminal ethynyl derivatives (forming a carbanion, a powerful nucleophile) with sodium amide in an appropriate solvent (liquid ammonia perhaps), the SN2 reaction will not occur with aryl halides like diazepam. If it were an alkyl halide, the reaction would occur, but the only way to do a "backside attack" on the *planar* benzene ring would require the ethynyl carbanion coming through the ring itself, which flat out will not happen. The other possible mechanism is for the SN1 mechanism to take over, but dissociation of the chlorine would form a benzene cation, which is extremely disfavored and will not happen readily enough for the reaction to proceed.

[Edited on 11-9-08 by UnintentionalChaos]

benzoethynyl.bmp - 35kB

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 9-11-2008 at 08:18

Sonogashira would be an option if you had a bromine, or even better, iodine, instead of a chlorine there. That said, maybe Sonogashira works with activated chlorines. Literature searching will be in order to answer that question.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 9-11-2008 at 12:23

You would need TMS-acetylene though for the sonogashira lest you want a polymer...

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-11-2008 at 18:27

Have you searched ACS, JCS, etc.? The more accessible journals? Is there a patent that cites papers one could get more info from?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10-11-2008 at 01:07

Questions without providing the necessary references that describe what is being discussed are to be addressed in the Beginnings section.
(I'm moving this thread there)
Piglet
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-11-2008 at 06:52

I am interested in two distinct aspects of this LEGAL compound. Firstly, I am interested in the synthesis from diazepam. The original patent uses a route I have not see before (pardon my ignorance) and secondly, this is something biochemical in nature, is how it expresses itself to produce many effects like alcohol. A Dr. Nutt has, for some time, been advocating the use of benzos as a replacement to alcohol because of the much lower levels of damage on the body and the fact that antagonists will terminate the effects, but not the user.
I say it's legal. In the UK it's not mentioned and the benzodiazepine class is not mentioned as a group. Benzos are class C.
I should had made it clear that in the UK, at least, it would only fall under the auspaces of the Medicines Act.
If someone is not interested then fine, but posting insults seems a pretty negative way to proceed.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 14-11-2008 at 08:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Piglet
A Dr. Nutt has, for some time, been advocating the use of benzos as a replacement to alcohol

Did you know that you do not HAVE to take drugs to relax?

Did you also know that benzodiazepines have quite nasty long term effects, such as tachyphylaxia and withdrawal problems?

Go To Top