Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Uranyl Acetate and Nitrate?
APCP
Harmless

Mood: Hungry for mach diamonds.

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 08:08
Uranyl Acetate and Nitrate?

I have something like 5 to 8 pounds of uranyl acetate and about 100 grams (I think) of uranyl nitrate that I want to sell. The thing is I don't know who would buy it or how to ship it. I remember reading at least one poster here bought a small amount of nitrate a few years back so I figured maybe someone could chime in and help.

And if there's a good shipping solution anyone in the US is welcome to inquire. I saw UN used to sell the acetate for $20/5g so I figured $5/5g would be good. As for the nitrate I have no idea what it's going for, though I've seen anywhere from 10 to 20 bucks per gram. I'm not really used to the features on this board so if you want to send me an email that'll be read faster. bigbang1ster at gmail dot com or there's always AIM

[Edited on 8-11-2008 by APCP]

Under the spreading chestnut tree, I sold you and you sold me. There lies they and here lies we, under the spreading chestnut tree.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 10:02

I bought 5 g of the acetate a few years ago. I don't recall it being shipped in some special way. Compounds of natural or depleted uranium aren't regulated as radioactive materials. The acetate isn't much of a flammable/oxidizer/corrosive either. Are you willing to give a price break for larger quantities? I might want 50 g or so.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
APCP
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 10:43

Yes but in pound quanities ($350/pound).

Thank you for the shipping information. I will most likely wrap samples in a lead pillow as I've heard it's common practice.

Under the spreading chestnut tree, I sold you and you sold me. There lies they and here lies we, under the spreading chestnut tree.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 10:44

I believe it would be best to ship it as you would ship mercury, lead, thallium, cadmium compounds. The uranyl compounds commercially available are depleteted uranium, they're far more dangerous due to the uraniums toxicity than to the radioactivity. It is hardly radioactive! If you have that much material you should really be familiar with the hazards it presents and should be clued up on how to safely store, ship and dispose of.. sorry if that sounds a little harsh!

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 12:36

You ship it as a poison, not a radioactive hazard--it's U238 with maybe a quarter percent of fissile material. There are limits to how much you can legally ship per time. Your best bet would be contacting your postmaster, not us.

Personally, I don't think you're likely to sell much of it, especially at those prices and it would probably not be the best thing to put on ebay. Perhaps labX? There's bound to be some analytical lab that does Na with it.

The best advice I can give you is that you should give it away to some college or university, assuming that this material has assay certificate and is unopened. My rationale being that it will cost you many thousands of dollars to have that disposed of (I talk from personal experience with uranium compounds). If you've a sealed 5lb jar of the acetate, I may be interested.

Anyway, good luck!

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
APCP
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 12:45

Fleaker

The jar is infact 5 pounds and I believe it is sealed (i will check when I have the chance.) I'd prefer monetary compensation versus donation to a University (which is why I need to sell in the first place.)

Should someone take an interest in purchasing I will find out the exact shipping regulations instead of just asking around, but for now I don't really want to go to them with a "hey, I have 5 pounds of uranium I wanna ship" and have a scare from someone not knowing the compounds in question. Understandable no?

Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 12:54

Care to talk privately on that 5lb jar?

Check your U2U inbox in the top right of your browser window.

[Edited on 8-11-2008 by Fleaker]

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 13:01

5$ for 5 grams. Expensive...
If you want to lose the 5 pounds, expect it to take a long time at those prices.
Many big suppliers are overpriced, so 1$/g is still quite expensive, and by buying from you we do not recieve it in the original bottle, take risks with shipping, etc... I think you should lower the price to be honest.

Besides, the 20$/5g is not only for the compound. Many suppliers ask whatever the quanatity, 10 EUR or more. For example, I don't remeber the exact compound, but there was a compound costing 12,10 for 100mL and 12,20 for 500mL at Acros. One can conclude that you're just paying for the bottle here. So at most big suppliers, the first 10 EUR is just for the bottle, and considering you probably do not put it in a high quality bottle in wich the suppliers put it, you should calculate that in the price.
APCP
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-11-2008 at 13:17

The price does seem pretty high but at a quarter the price of the cheapest supplier I know of it seemed fair. To be honest I was hoping for a bulk buy and not small quantities (which is why I was asking for shipping pointers rather than making this thread specifically for sale, though don't get me wrong I am trying to sell.)

Thanks again for the comments everyone!

crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 9-11-2008 at 11:22

Selling in five gram increments will take a long time. If you have 5 pounds why not sell it to united nuclear or another small hobby supplier?

Go To Top