Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Power-output-controlling of MW-oven, towards Birkeland-Eyde synthesis
chief
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 07:01
Power-output-controlling of MW-oven, towards Birkeland-Eyde synthesis

First check out how easy a plasma can be generated using a domestic MW-oven (1 minute video)

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=plasma+microwave&...

Of course, most (cheap) MW have no power-output regulation, but get over-used and fail under continuous short-circuiting of the plasma ...

If the MW doesn't fail, the apparatus might ...

So it's time to think about _how_ such a MW may be controlled/limited ...

This is VERY DANGEROUS, because of the high-voltage/high-current electricity in the MW, so don't do it ; but if one cannot resist:
How can the circuitry be modified ?

==> Would it be sufficient to connect the magnetron to just another source of voltage, not the strong one built in ?
==> Maybe then this could be pulsed at higher frequency (not only 100 Hz), thereby having a better burning plasma ?
==> Maybe just an Inverter in the kHz-range (high-power-audio-Amp into some usable transformer ?)
==> Will microwave-radiation be generated also at an occasional DC-discharge from a capacitor ? Then just only the capacitor-Joules would go into the magnetron, might even be quite precisely be controlled ... ? (maybe trading-in higher peak-power in each impulse, for better ignition, multi-kW-range ?)

[Edited on 19-11-2008 by chief]
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 08:14

While the idea of making HNO3 from air and water is attractive, IMAO, the NO2 output from B-E generators is so small they're next-to-worthless.
If you had no access to nitrates or H2SO4 you'd have to try it; after an eternity you'd end up with a very small quantity of ~10-20% HNO3, and that's if you were lucky.
In any case, an NST-driven Jacob's Ladder would seem a better bet than a MWO---'Just my uneducated opinion.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 08:41

See The Bell Jar, Volume 10 Number 3/4; it has an article entitled "Microwave Oven Plasma Reactor".
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 08:59

Well, I don't mean the Birkeland-Eyde thing; I just mean the MW-regulation for other sorts of plasma-stuff; the B-E HNO3 might get more efficient at the end, anyhow, since it's a volume-plasma, when compared to the arcing of typical B-E-reactors. Also other gases might be made to react in interesting ways, laser-tube-experimenting could be done,

but I want a way towards solar-cell-experimenting ! Thats what I want, and some microwave-power might be useful for that.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 19-11-2008 at 18:54

BellJar sure looks like a fun pub...

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 20-11-2008 at 01:26

Try an inverter oven (you can tell them apart because they don't weigh a fuckton from the transformer).

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2008 at 12:39

I now got myself an old 900 W MW; as long as I just want to do a furnace-setup (some absorber, good thermal insulation), might I just monitor the power-consumtion ? As long as it's not more than 4-5 A (220 V), everything should be safe ? Or can I blow something anyhow ?
How do I know the absorber gets enough wattage out of the field, that nothing internal of the MW get's overheated ? After all these materials have their phase-change temperatures, and might loose some susceptibility at a point ?
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 4-12-2008 at 19:54

Meh, once any ceramic gets hot enough it'll start conducting (ionic mobility) and absorb just fine. This is especially true of ceramics containing fluxes which become molten at lowish temperatures (though the bulk resistivity might still be too high to absorb all that great). Won't necessarily overlap the magnetic or electromagnetic range though. In general though, it looks like excellent results can be had from magnetite and silicon carbide.

Power consumption is a good start, but a magnetron should pretty much produce constant power. Actually it might draw more current when lightly loaded. The best check would be the temperature of the magnetron, if possible...

Tim

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
domaani
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-12-2008 at 00:14

chief:

I have acquired a Prolabo microwave digestion device which utilizes a common MW-oven magnetron. It's output power can be adjusted between 30 to 300 W by some form of PWM control. I haven't got time to test the equipment, so I have no idea of the PWM frequency and pulse forms used. Anyway, it might be interesting to know that it's possible.

As you can see, in a commercial use the power taken from such device is well below it's operational limits. In that specific application it makes possible to evaporate samples into dryness without causing damage to the magnetron. It's a simple power RF transmitter, which should transfer the produced RF power to a properly matched load (here the medium to be heated), or it will have to dissipate it as heat among the loss power it makes anyway. In most microwave oven designs it's expected that the substance to be heated absorbs almost all the RF power and the magnetron needs to dissipate only it's usual thermal losses. Thus it's cooling system is not adequate for loads which do not absorb all the power, and using it under those conditions makes it overheat and finally get damaged.
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2008 at 16:45

I was thinking about coupling the 0.9 kW of MW-power into some metal-tubing of 10 cm diameter (therefore taking the magnetron out of the MW-oven).
In such a tube, lined with fireproof brick inside, and well insulated outside, the absorber might be placed away from the magnetron (1/2 m), and at the opposite end there could be some extra absorber and an metal-cap, so the whole thing would be self-contained.

Although the thing might have no MW-leak it still would be operated only from a
distance, eg. 5 m. What about that idea ? 900 W of power may heat an well insula
ted volume of 2 l to more than 1000 [Cels]; also enough power would be consumed
from the magnetron by good additional absorber at the other end of the thing ...?
triggernum5
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-12-2008 at 18:24

Be really careful if you take out the magnetron, stray microwaves will destroy your eyes before you know what happened, so you'll need to take care with waveguide coupling..
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-12-2008 at 20:08

Thats why I was talking about letting the thing run from a minimum distance of 5 m. Or would that be not enough ? As I understand: The MW-power cannot be focussed much sharper than it's own wavelength, which at 2.5 GHz is more than 10 cm; so at a distance it should be distributed ?
Anyhow I'm just asking precisely of this question: I'm not willing to take any risk on that !
12AX7
Post Harlot

[*] posted on 21-12-2008 at 22:05

Easy way to tell, if you feel radiant heat (microwaves heat much the same as IR, which is also hazardous to the eyes if you stare at it for a while), it's too close or too unshielded.

Tim

triggernum5
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-12-2008 at 06:29

I'm kinda hazey on details, but when I researched the threat a while back, it seemed that the risk could be alot harder to pinpoint than discomfort, as effects/pain can lag the event..
One vague number I do remember is that anything above 1mW/cm^2 should be considered chronically dangerous, and 80-100mW/cm^2 or higher should be considered more immediately dangerous..
I seem to remember finding alot better info when I researched this in the past..
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-12-2008 at 12:17

If these numbers are true, then I'm just gonna let the magnetron inside the oven.
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 22-12-2008 at 13:32

Going through the numbers: if you are radiating 1kW (isotropically) then the 1mW/cm^2 level is achieved at a distance of 2.9m. In practice you wont be leaking 1kW, unless your waveguide construction is unbelievably bad. The leaks wont necessarily be isotropic, but I still think your planned distance of 5m should keep you safe, even if you completely screw up your waveguides.
You can also buy microwave oven leak detectors - they're just a little meter with an antenna and rectifier - just for peace of mind.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
triggernum5
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-12-2008 at 19:35

I just remember thinking that a worst case scenario sounded like what happened to Homer when he declined the eye-drops after laser surgery..:)
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 12:45

Go To Top