Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Melzer's reagent
a1dirkscience
Harmless

Mood: frustrated

sad.gif posted on 11-12-2008 at 18:55
Melzer's reagent

Can anyone help me find a small amount of Melzer's reagent ? 20 ml ?? or does anyone have 20gm s of chloral hydrate so that i can make what I need . this is for mycological identification. any help would be very helpfull.
thank you a1dirkscience
kclo4
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 19:58

If its worth it to you, you could possibly make it. Chloral hydrate can be produced by adding anhydrous chlorine to absolute ethanol I believe.
If its worth it to you, you could possibly make it. It is important that everything is dry.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 11-12-2008 at 20:10

You really will need to make your own chloral hydrate, because (assuming you are in USA) it's a federally Controlled Substance, an anachronism from days of old when trichloroacetaldehyde was a drug of abuse. It is also the famous "Mickey Finn" knockout drops.

It is quite easy to make. See the chloral thread (use the frigging seasrch engine.) All you need is a chlorine source, some anhydrous ethanol, an ice bath in early stage and later, a heating mantle or other heat source. Doing this on a small scale is not a hassle.

In the chloral thread you will find a citation to a Chemical Reviews monograph on the subject which I posted. I commend it to you.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
a1dirkscience
Harmless

Mood: frustrated

[*] posted on 12-12-2008 at 17:22

Thanks for the replies. I have read all of the info on this sight on chloral. I was hoping not to have to make it ..but... normaly its easy to get , my DR friend is out of the country right now. I normally get a perscription for the reagent and goto the local compounder and he makes it for me. Iwas just hoping to avoid a 17 hour lab for 10 minutes of research..not to mention that manufacturing is 25 to life in prison. The DEA permit is $600.00 and then they can enter all of your facilitys at any time there after and trash it..

just have to know the right people.
Thank you Dirk
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 13-12-2008 at 00:40

I had the same problem and bought the melzer's reagent rather than deal with a fed controlled substance. The $600 is just the beginning by the way. Plan on a $10,000 safe for example.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 13-12-2008 at 01:04

Chloral hydrate can (so I have read) be easily made by treating trichloroethylene (industrial solvent) with hypochlorous acid. Do a patent search I am sure you will find something.

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop

Go To Top