Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydrogen Sulfide
Silverado79523CYBER
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

biggrin.gif posted on 15-1-2009 at 12:08
Hydrogen Sulfide

I know that one way to produce hydrogen sulfide is to pour concentrated/not concentrated hydrochloric acid over iron sulfide (produced by heating both sulfur and iron together).

Just curious: Hydrogen sulfide in water (obviously a solution), hydrogen sulfide in ammonia, hydrogen sulfide in iodine, bromine water, or anything else?

Might be fun to discuss if you are interested.
Silverado79523CYBER
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-1-2009 at 12:09

Oh, I meant iodine solution.
Jor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2009 at 12:34

First off all, if you are going to experiment with it, be warned that it an exceptionally dangerous gas. Extremely toxic, and you lose your sense of smell at toxic levels. A single breath at 0,1% will get you in coma. Compare toxicity to hydrogen cyanide.

Hydrogen sulphide does not dissolve to well in water, with ammonia it reacts, forming an NH4HS-solution, wich smells badly like rotten eggs, and is used as stink bombs.
Because this is your first post, and you don't sound too serious, I rather keep the answer to the H2S in iodine solution for myself.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-1-2009 at 12:37

H2S + water --> very faint acid, solution turns turbid quickly, due to oxidation of H2S by oxygen from air
H2S + ammonia --> Formation of ammonium sulfide and/or ammonium hydrogen sulfide, depending on relative amounts of H2S and NH3. Such solutions tend to turn yellow, due to aerial oxidation, in which sulfide is oxidized to sulphur, which in turn dissolves again, giving polysulfide solutions
H2S in iodine/bromine solution --> Immediate oxidation of sulfide to sulphur, the halogen is reduced to iodide/bromide

Hydrogen sulfide gives precipitates with many metals, e.g. with copper(II) ions and mercury(II) ions a black precipitate is formed. With silver(I) ions, dark brown Ag2S is formed. Even free H2S forms such precipitates, due to the extremely low solubility of the metal sulfides.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Silverado79523CYBER
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-1-2009 at 12:41

Who said anythin about experimenting? I just wanted to get aquainted with this highly toxic gas in study, not in actual experimentation.
Silverado79523CYBER
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-1-2009 at 12:46

any other ideas for hydrogen sulfide?
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 15-1-2009 at 12:58

Hydrogen Sulphide can be liquified as can Sulphur Dioxide and Ammonia and is used sometimes by crazy people as some funky solvent for electrochemical and inorganic non-aqueous reactions...

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-1-2009 at 20:11

The other day I was making Iron Chloride by dissolving a sizable amount of electrolytic iron granules in HCL and i noticed a substantial odor of Hydrogen Sulfide Now while this on its own should not be possible but I think this is what happened.

The iron granules had been prepaird by electrolysis in a bath of Sulfuric Acid and Iron Sulfate and then stored for quite some time 'damp' without being thouroly washed (sloppy yes but i wasn't worried about purity at the time)

Id guess that somehow some of the stray FeSO4 Lost its oxygen (perhaps absorbed by the excess iron to form FeO) to form a small amount of FeS leading to the smell of Hydrogen Sulfide when i desolved the mess in hydrocloric acid.

Now while this was entirely accidental I wonder if there might be a more controlled way to preform the same synthesis.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-1-2009 at 23:42

bquirky, your iron was not contaminated with FeS, it was the FeSO4 which caused the smell. In the process of dissolving the iron, the iron, or nascent hydrogen formed at the surface of the iron, is capable of reducing sulfate ion. Part of it is reduced to SO2, another part is reduced to H2S.

This effect is noticeable best when very pure iron (or even ebtter: zinc) is added to very pure dilute H2SO4. Most of the gas is hydrogen, but there is a clear smell of H2S. Given the purity of the starting reactants, the only explanation is reduction of sulfate to H2S.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
bquirky
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-1-2009 at 01:10

Ahhhh,

Now that is interesting

Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 16-1-2009 at 02:11

slverado, this thread is titles THE ART AND SCIENCE OF AMATUER EXPERIMENTALISM

You state you are not into experimenting.

In thta case read a book and stop wasting our time. You appear to have nothing at all to contribute.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.

Go To Top