Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cinnamamide purification
Isomeric_Fred
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 03:47
Cinnamamide purification

Hello. Long time no post, but I find myself in need of help and this is the natural place for me to ask questions.
So I m trying to find a suitable purification method for cleaning cinnamamide from a mixture of dimethylacetamide and acrylamide and some bromobenzene.
The m.p. of cinnamamide is around 140ish degC so distilling is out of the questions. I dont feel like running a flash column but maybe i have to?
any info on recrystalization or eluent mixtures for flash/tlc chromatography would be great.
thanks!
EDIT : P.S. in the image below R=H or alkyl groups, (Cinnamamide - R=H, alpha-ethylcinnamamide - R=ethyl)

[Edited on 25-2-2009 by Isomeric_Fred]

1.gif - 2kB
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 04:09

It seems obvious you are trying to work up a reaction mixture from a Heck coupling, so first of all filter it trough celite or silica to remove the catalyst, then dilute with 4-5 volumes of water, remove bromobenzene remains and other water insoluble volatiles with steam, then cool and separate the insoluble material (it is possible that at this point the product will crystallize, but more probably it will just be viscous oil or a resin-like stuff) and recrystallize it (from H2O/EtOH or check the literature on what solvent is best for cinnamamide).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Isomeric_Fred
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 04:34

Hi Nicodem and thanks :)
Yes I am carrying out heck couplings. celite aid filtration is a must here since the catalyst ends up very fine and will clog filter paper. i havent diluted with water though, and havent thought about it. good idea. will give it a go and report back here.
if anyone has any other idea plz share :D
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2009 at 04:22

Isomeric_Fred, could you give us a little detail on the reaction? I'm pretty interested in Heck-like couplings...

What catalyst did you use? The tetrakis(triphenylphosphine)palladium? Did you prepare it before hand or in-situ? I suppose you used dimethylacetamide as solvent...

I'd love to hear more about the way the reaction proceeded and the results you obtained!

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
Isomeric_Fred
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 13:15

Hi Klute. I havent carried out the reaction with acrylamide yet, since I wasnt sure about how to purify efficiently the cinnamamide.
I have carried a heck coupling of phenylbromide and acrylate ester in NMP and NaOAc as base and 0.1mol% of Pd(OAc)2 as catalyst with no ligand. Ive let it react for 6Hours at 130-140degC. have gotten very good yields, very similair to that described in the journal article describing this methodology, albeit somewhat lower - around 85-90% - still very acceptable i think :)
I really like this heck methodology. No need for expensive or sensitive phosphines. also very low catalyst loading makes this approach really alot cheaper then traditional heck.
Im sure its not suitable for all substrates, but it seems rather general and good yielding in most circumstances. Still havent had the chance to test it with unprotected acrylamide, but i think it will work. dont see any reason why it should, hopefully the amidic nitrogen wont complex with anything.
I think the first publication of the sort (dont flame me if its not the first one) is "Homeopathic Ligand-Free Palladium as a Catalyst in the Heck Reaction. A Comparison with a Palladacycle", Andre H. M. de Vries,* Jan M. C. A. Mulders, John H. M. Mommers, Huub J. W. Henderickx, and Johannes G. de Vries*. ORGANIC LETTERS 2003 Vol. 5, No. 18 3285-3288 (attached, along with the experimental).
The above reaction details ive layed out are described in that article which ive followed closely.
The authors say at the end of the journal that they've scaled up this procedure to 1Kg scale, which is very encouraging, and next time ill test it ill test it with 1ml of solvent per 1mmol of substrate, instead of the ratios given by the article (which are for small scale, they dont give experimental details of scaled up reaction).

Attachment: palladium acetate heck - de. vries.pdf (73kB)
This file has been downloaded 715 times

chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 4-3-2009 at 22:33

Quote:
Originally posted by Isomeric_Fred

The m.p. of cinnamamide is around 140ish degC so distilling is out of the questions.

Fred- why can't you pull a hard vacuum on it and distill it out? I've done this with cmpds that melted at 150-60..

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 02:50

Thank you very much for the details and the article! That is a reaction I would love to try one day...

How did the workup go for your reaction?

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr

Go To Top