Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Threads disappearing highhandedly
chief
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 13:29
Threads disappearing highhandedly

Yesterday a ranting user called Sauron ranted my thread on plasma-enhanced aerodynamics useless, and now tho whole thread disappeared ! Whats that ???

As well those sauron-postings ("american weapons are better than russians" -style ) might have been deleteted, and the thread would have been fine ... ! Since when disappear threads in this forum ?

Sorry: That's just an insult for everyone, who has wrote anything on the thread: Only because maybe the sauron was loosing his opinionated argument closing a thread: That reminds me of communism !
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 13:48

The thread was moved into Whimsy, our catchall discussion section, because it had nothing to do with amateur science. It has not been deleted.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 15:08

So it was removed - : I Just tried to look at it, but the entire whimsy-forum is password-protected ; "Access must be requestet from a moderator" or something ...

That _is_ removal, since noone has any comparable access to it any more. Besides The thread may well have it's relevance for amateurs too, plasma is an interesting field, and shockwave-phenomena are not too different from what everyone except me talks about in the "shaped charges"- and explosives- sections and threads. Why don't you just let users like or dislike it ?

Speculation and theorizing _is_ an essential part of sience, as well as of amateur-science, since todays high-technology is tomorrows amateur-science, is it not ?
Polverone

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 15:13

Anyone who has been registered for a month or more can get Whimsy access on request. Users are free to like or dislike the thread, but I will still move threads a more appropriate section if I believe they have been misplaced.

chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 15:50

Well: I can't hinder you from it -- at least I exposed it ; Why don't you do the same then to the KGB-secret-poison thread, which is new in the moment ?

Sciencemadness - the communist forum, as proven by now :D Censorship - the weapon of the weak and whimsy !
Polverone

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 16:21

I did do the same to the KGB poison thread. It is in Detritus. Would you like me to move the plasma aerodynamics thread there too so everyone can see it?

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 16:22

There's nothing to expose really ... but feel free to take the credit :D

Threads outside the broad arena of (amateur) science usually end up in the whimsy forum - where's the problem with that?

The PW protection is there for historical reasons - people used Whimsy in the past to spam, or as their main platform of 'communication', in fact people sometimes appeared to register for whimsy alone.

This way, we maintain the focus on (amateur) science, and all is happy and dandy...

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 17:36

How unworthy ... , : Must be the difference between science and "amteur science" : The former knows no rulers ... and is free ; the latter is nothing in comparison.

[Edited on 25-2-2009 by chief]

[Edited on 25-2-2009 by chief]
Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 18:19

chief,

Look on the bright side - at least your thread wasn't closed. I asked weather it was possible to convert the alkane, 2-phenylethylamine to the corresponding alcohol (phenylethanolamine), and people just flipped out. Was asked to clarify, but thread was closed, so I actually couldn't. The squeaky wheel most DEFINITELY does get the grease.
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 19:07

Chief, your thread had nothing at all to do with hobby science or hobby chemistry and those are the subject of this forum.

Your thread was about a supposed (and in my view bogus) russian plasma aerodynamics system - a weapons system and weapons of any sort are specifically forbidden topics on this forum.

So unless you are planning to do plasma aerodynamics in your back yard...it has no place here and if I were running the show it would be in Detritus and not in Whimsy.

Bullshit from YouTube.

Globey, a moderator closed your thread because you were incoherent as usual. No one could discern what structure you were after, least of all you. That is why the thread was closed

There are no haphazard thread closures, only haphazard posters.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 19:24

We can't all be geniuses like you, Sauron.
chief
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-2-2009 at 19:44

Sauron was loosing a self-started argument ... ; noone can see that now, since it's only-special-access-area, where the thread is now, and sauron was saved ... ; shouldn't offend anyone next time.

Besides: "A weapons System is forbidden topic here ..." - it was only about aerodynamics ; isn't it much more weapons-related, if other people here mess around with explosives and post synthesis-advices by the 100's etc. ?
Such an explosive is a ready-to-use weapon ; the russian ("bogus")-plasma-aerodynamics just lets a plane fly faster (if it really works) ; that's not a weapon by itself.

Come on, honestly: There was no need to close _this_ interesting aerodynamics thread .
And it also was no bullshit from youtube: The referred-to video was a professionally made one, quality far above the usual bullshit-stuff; at least made by some TV-station or something.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 00:09

Chief, you have already been informed by the highest authority on this forum that the Whimsy forum is available to all members who have been registered for more than a month, and who ask for the password. I have the password. You apparently do not care enough about your own bogus topic to ask for the password from any moderator, you would rather squat in this thread and kvetch. That speaks volumes about you.

Explosives CHEMISTRY is allowed, but if anyone posts about weaponization of explosives, guess what happens? Detritus.

This is a longstanding forum policy.

I did not make the policy. But I agree with it. And contrary to your mantra the thread has NOT been closed.

Globey, as it happens I did not particularly agree with the closing of your thread, but then, I was not consulted about it. I was one of the ones trying to help you in that thread, so why attack me? Go to Detrirus and read your own thread. You never did make a clear statement as to what you were trying to make, and that was waving a red flag at the moderators.

Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 00:21

Quote:
Originally posted by chief
Sauron was loosing a self-started argument ... ; noone can see that now, since it's only-special-access-area, where the thread is now, and sauron was saved ... ; shouldn't offend anyone next time.

What the hell are you talking about? Whimsy section is no "only-special-access-area". Everybody who wants can access it as long as it is registered for more than one month. If you consider such a useless section like Whimsy as something special, then you really are deluded.
Have you even asked a moderator for access? If you have not, then you have no right in claiming that your thread was censored or deleted or whatever, because it was not! Moving a thread to a more appropriate section is at complete moderator's arbitrary decision.
And what the hell has this thread moving to do with Sauron? If you have an argument with him, than take it to him instead of wasting our time in reading about the adventures of you two.

To Globey: In your thread that I closed, you never wanted to explain what the thread was about. All replies from the members were just guesswork on what your topic could be. Some thought you wanted to prepare 1-methoxy-3-phenylpropane while now you say you wanted to ask about preparing 2-phenylethanol from 2-phenylethylamine. Can you now finally understand why that thread had to be closed? It was pure delirium and we do not tolerate such things here. You need to clear up things in your mind before you spill them over here. Make it coherent and I will not close it - quite simple.
Edit: Globey, I thought you were talking about the thread I closed and just now noticed you are talking about your new thread that was moved to Detritus. What is it with you? This new one is even much worse and I had hopes that you actually got less confused. You still did not convince me that you are not doing this on purpose...

[Edited on 26/2/2009 by Nicodem]

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 00:50

The thread about phenylethanolamine or whatever it was, was closed by chemeleo if I recall.

Yes, Nicodem, I agree that is globey is doing this deliberately it would male a lot of sense. It is truly difficult to be as opaque and ambiguous as that otherwise.

Bottom line, chief, is that if you don't like the way the board is moderated, then it's time for you to find another sandbox, because you can't fight city hall - in cyberspace or anywhere else.

I'm sure there's a science fiction forum somewhaere that would welcome a discussion about plasma aerodynamics and jets at Mach 50.

Globey
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 11:56

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Chief, you have already been informed by the highest authority on this forum that the Whimsy forum is available to all members who have been registered for more than a month, and who ask for the password. I have the password. You apparently do not care enough about your own bogus topic to ask for the password from any moderator, you would rather squat in this thread and kvetch. That speaks volumes about you.

Explosives CHEMISTRY is allowed, but if anyone posts about weaponization of explosives, guess what happens? Detritus.

This is a longstanding forum policy.

I did not make the policy. But I agree with it. And contrary to your mantra the thread has NOT been closed.

Globey, as it happens I did not particularly agree with the closing of your thread, but then, I was not consulted about it. I was one of the ones trying to help you in that thread, so why attack me? Go to Detrirus and read your own thread. You never did make a clear statement as to what you were trying to make, and that was waving a red flag at the moderators.

Well, just couldn't clarify it since it was closed, that's all;) Anyway, not a biggie, I've moved on =)

[Edited on 26-2-2009 by Globey]
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 17:22

If you were coherent in the first place then it wouldn't have been closed. Seriously, think carefully before you type and it can avoid all confusion. 2-PEA from 2-PEA? What sort of nonsense is that? Learn some proper nomenclature and then maybe we'll all understand you better. A good place to start seeing as you seem "interested" in organic chemistry is here:

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/nomen1.htm#start

Incase you want to learn some organic chemistry then here is a link to the index of the site:

http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/intro1.htm

Also, the forum library has a variety of books that I suggest you might like to read. These are all free resources, and so there is no reason to keep speaking gibberish that no-one here can understand.

Go To Top