Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Basifying isopropanol
YRVN13A
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 23:06
Basifying isopropanol

This is probably a very elementary question, but I thought I would ask anyways. I need to raise the PH of isopropanol. Can this be achieved by simply dissolving NaOH in it, or will the NaOH actually react with the iso? If it does react, what would it form? And if this is not the best way, what would be a better chemical to use?
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 26-2-2009 at 23:39

Mostly nothing...and a small amount of Na isopropoxide. We use it as a base bath for cleaning glass. It still smells like iPrOH. Anyway, pH is undefined in non-aqueous solvents.

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 27-2-2009 at 20:38

How does it work on organic residues? How is it on the glassware? Is it easier than strong NaOH solutions? The isopropoxide is only about 0.2% at any time right?

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 27-2-2009 at 22:25

Base baths work great, we use KOH in IPA, and use it to clean all of our glassware (spatulas, septum stoppers, stirbars and stopcocks too). Even after leaving stuff in it for a few days, the glass does not seem adversely affected. Probably over time, the glass ends up loosing its nice shiny appearance more quickly, but for all practical purposes it is unaffected. Needless to say, it removes just about anything very well. I have contemplated setting one up form my home lab, but I have decided having a concentrated solution of KOH in IPA would be a long term safety liability that I don't want to deal with.

BTW The reason it works for removing just about any stain, is that It doesn't necessarily need to dissolve whats on the flask, it just loosens everything up by ever so slightly etching the glass.

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 00:35

It's pretty easy on the glass (it will remove gradation or labeling patches much more quickly), so don't forget it in there for weeks...It will kill scinter, so that's a no-no.

KOH seems to be easier on the glass. The amount of iPrOK, at equilibrium, should be very small.

It does a great job on glass, super shiny after a subsequent rinse with DI.

Again though, YRVN is asking about raising the pH of iPrOH--this is impossible b/c pH is defined specifically for solutions containing water. Convert some to iPrOK maybe, raise its pH, no.

Iv'e never found it to be a large hazard. I make mine in a 5 gal bucket filled 1/3 with the standard top (which is left slightly loose). Except for the occasional top-off with alcohol, not too much to worry about. Just avoid fire and have some gloves, tongs and safety glasses in case you drop something and get a splash.

CHeers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 20:44

@Ozone, do you have any experience with it killing sintered glass or is this just something you heard? In our lab we use it to clean all glassware including sintered glass funnels; we have had no problems that I know of.

P.S. Ozone has your base bath turned red over time? I am wondering if this color in our bath is due to aldol condensations, or just the compounds we work with.

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop
Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 21:09

The drawback to any alcohol/KOH bath is that you will never remove all traces of the KOH from ground joints, and some compounds and reactions are very sensitive to base. Using such glassware later, can screw up such reactions. Unless you keep this in mind you will have a hard time identifying the reason for failure.

Sic gorgeamus a los subjectatus nunc.
Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 21:11

smuv: yup they turn orange/red.
Ebao-lu
Unregistered

[*] posted on 28-2-2009 at 23:30

I've prepared once NaOH in ethanol to store in a glass jar. After 3-5 days it became yellowish, and then reddish. That's due to air oxidation to acetaldehyde, and its condensation. Now, i never try to store any alcohol-alkaline solution. For cleaning stored solutions should be fine, but for other purposes - not sure. Maybe t-BuOH is not oxydizable then?

[Edited on 28-2-2009 by Ebao-lu]

Go To Top