Author: Subject: Desperately seeking...Knauer HPLC parts
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 20-3-2009 at 09:48
Desperately seeking...Knauer HPLC parts

Does anybody have available:

Knauer HPLC pump, injection loop, plumbing

The parts I have at the moment are OLD (made in W. Germany) so am looking for old models likely to be surplus in labs etc.

Preferably looking for somebody in the UK. Please U2U me if you can help.

:D

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BabyBird
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2009 at 12:23

there has been a couple of old knauer 10ml HPLC pumps on UK ebay, spares for the pumps are available from Kinesis and others. I personally don't like them, the Kontron kit is far more robust and just as cheap. unless of course you already have a knauer and are looking for a donor.

injection loops etc are just normal hplc stuff don't bother with pre-made injection loops unless you want massive volumes or stainless steel. perhaps you should phone Jaytee biosciences who have their own range of fittings and tubing and are much cheaper than anyone else.
panziandi
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored

[*] posted on 15-4-2009 at 11:46

Cheers BabyBird! I got my detector on eBay but was outbid by someone on the pump I was after! Been thinking about getting a different pump though. Trouble is this is REALLY budget! I'll look into Jaytee though! Cheers! Have you got a HPLC yourself then? Any details?

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
BabyBird
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2009 at 14:04

yes I have HPLC, for gradient stuff I run two kontron pumps hooked together with a T and mixing coil to get high pressure binary gradient. one kontron 422 as master and one 420 as slave. also have a kontron autosampler huge, heavy but very reliable and programmable even without the manual. I think it is made of solid cast iron and powered by steam.
I run a Hitachi L6200 (I think) UV detector (originaly used a perceptive 205 detector but couldn't find a analytical flow cell for it) and hook the analogue out straight into a labjack U3 and into a cheapo laptop rather than using a dedicated chromatographic interface,also used the autosampler contact closure/start signal into daqfactory express (free with the lab jack) to do timing. I used to use a chart recorder, which is fine but doesn't do integration unless you want to cut out the peaks and weigh them on a 4 place balance.
I only run reverse phase and found that the phenomenox bondclone columns are pretty much indestructable.
I guess the total system came to about £350 originally.

I used to run isocratic with the 422 kontron before I got the second pump and got very good results, I still run isocratic when I want real accuracy.

the great thing about old HPLC kit is that it is dead easy to hook them together using the simple contact closure stuff on the back. Use newer stuff and then a whole world of pain involving buying the software, cables licences etc.
good old HPLC kit is Kontron, hitachi L6000 series. Waters kit is really good but the spares are very expensive and it is complex to hack. I have also used perceptive biosystems and beckman, the perceptive stuff is great but there is no product support, beckmanstuff is just pure rubbish, with even shittier product support.

if you are after a pump then check out dovebid and labbay.eu along with dreamscience, sensibly priced pumps appear frequently, big pharma dumps fully functioning stuff all the time. but its always a gamble buying a pump, if the vlves or seals are gone then it is hundreds to sort. so far I have been really lucky.

Go To Top