Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Interesting distallation result I can't explain
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 05:08
Interesting distallation result I can't explain

Back to the kiddie chemistry.....

My four year old has decided SHE wants to learn science just like her big brother. So I decided to show her the first demonstration I did for him. You all may not remember, that was the one where the alchohol lamp cracked and sprayed flaming alchohol all over the homeschool materials on the dining room table? Yeah....

Anyhoo, I have better equipment now: boiling flasks, butane heater, proper stands....

You know you have a lot of kids when you decide to use Chopin in your experiments because you simply have no time to drink anymore. Chopin goes into the boiling flask and on goes the heat. Remember, the task here is to show two boiling points and that there are two "materials" in the "clear" liquid.

It boils. I hold a lighter under the glass tube and as expected it sputters a bit and then ignites. So far so good. After some time of watching the flame, she decides that's not interesting anymore and heads over to the jungle gym.

To get here back, I decide to show here how the boiling flask can "drink from a straw" just like she can. So I get a glass of cold water, and stick it under the glass tube. She thinks it's neat because you can see the alchohol vapor immediately liquify into the cold water. I turn off the heat and shortly thereafter the water starts to "suck" up the tube.

When the cold water hits the boiling flask there is a rapid temperature drop as expected and the flask really starts to suck water.

And here is where it get's interesting. It's sucking water fast--fast enough to shake the apparatus AND SIMULTANEOUSLY the liquid in the flask is BOILING. And I mean, a ROLLING boil with huge splashy bubbles. This lasts for a good 5 seconds and is a huge hit--even the two year old starts jumping up and down squealing.

But I am at a total loss to explain the "boil" simultaneous to the "pressure drop".

Also, briefly, once the boil stopped, the whole mixture went milky then cleared up. What gives?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 06:08

It's unlikely you used poor Frederick, so Chopin must be a liquid measure (looked it up!), but I was seriously nonplussed there for a while.
I think your liquid boiled because pressure was reduced---residual heat was enough to boil the liquid at low pressure.
the milkiness might be poor mixing of liquids of different density, och aye. . .

[Edited on 30-3-2009 by hissingnoise]
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 06:21

So it was the alchohol boiling out? It was wild because in addition to all that, the "air" on top of the liquid formed "fog" during the process.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 07:20

The other definition I got for Chopin was a Scottish quart, hence the "och aye" bit. . .
The fog BTW, would be precipitation of liquid from saturated air caused by the lowered pressure.
Met Office stuff. . .
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 07:27

Cool, so there was boiling and precipitation all at once. Love that!
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 07:28

Sorry, "Chopin" is a brand of vodka! I didn't know it was also a unit of measure.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2009 at 07:36

Vodka! Of course, how absentminded of me. . .
Cheersh!
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2009 at 05:53

Quote: Originally posted by jgourlay  

Also, briefly, once the boil stopped, the whole mixture went milky then cleared up. What gives?
The milkiness is an emulsion. I would have to guess that's its all the stuff in the vodka that's neither ethanol nor water. It's soluble (because the emulsion disappeared), but not instantly so (slow reaction kinetics). Therefore it forms a temporary emulsion. I would guess that it doesn't form with just ethanol and water.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 31-3-2009 at 06:33

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Quote: Originally posted by jgourlay  

The milkiness is an emulsion. I would have to guess that's its all the stuff in the vodka that's neither ethanol nor water. It's soluble (because the emulsion disappeared), but not instantly so (slow reaction kinetics). Therefore it forms a temporary emulsion. I would guess that it doesn't form with just ethanol and water.

Could be microbubbles from the cavitation...this happens sometimes with tap water just out of the tap into your glas...sudden pressure drop --> gassing out

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
hissingnoise
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2009 at 06:46

Yes w.f, in hindsight, it's obviously not the normal turbidity associated with mixing EtOH and water.
Tiny air bubbles being forced out of the water (again) by the lowered pressure would have been another theory. . .

PHILOU's, beaten me to it! Oh well. . .

[Edited on 31-3-2009 by hissingnoise]

Go To Top