Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NMR spares wanted
BabyBird
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2009 at 11:33
NMR spares wanted

Hi,
A while back a user called nyx had gotten his hands on a hitachi R-1200 NMR machine, has anyone heard anything more about it? or heard from him, his last post was a long time ago.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6782#p...

I am looking for a shunt key and a parallel key for a Hitachi r1100 r1200 or r1500, in particular a shunt key, it is usually located inside the front panel of the machine underneath the spinner on off switch and underneath the golay adjuster panel. it is held in with a plastic clip on the base of the machine.

can anyone help with a key or even a couple of pictures and some measurements of a key so one can be made.

the r-1200 (60Mhz CW rapid scan) is still fairly common in the US in universities and colleges,

yes I have checked, Hitachi no longer support the machines.

slowly I am figuring out the wiring and rebuild of these creatures, but without a shunt key I have to disassemble the magnet housing :-(

Any help would be appreciated.
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 14-4-2009 at 20:46

I have a Hitachi 60MHz instrument. Not sure of the model number from here. I had intended to go through its circuit in the process of getting it set up, but havent got to it yet.

Didnt know it had shunt or series keys. Why, what do they do?
BabyBird
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-4-2009 at 00:09

the shunt key physically adjusts the magnetic field something like 3000 hz, which is important when the wide shift cannot pull the resonance into the middle of the swept region. the effect of the shunt key is to pull the peaks up or down field without having to use the wide shift.
the thing is that once the machine is set up (provided it isn't moved too much) the shunt key is not needed.

The parallel key is less important because the golays can easily adjust the x and y, but it is alwyas a good idea to reduce the demand on the coils by getting the magnet as close to correct as possible using the physical adjust.

if your machine is a R 1000 series ie r1100 r1200 or r1500 it has the same magnet unit as the one I have. the R1100 and r1200 are exactly the same except for the correlator unit on the R1200 which enables rapid scan.

do you have the xy plotter/ printer for your machine?
len1
National Hazard

Mood: NZ 1 (goal) - Italy 1 (dive)

[*] posted on 15-4-2009 at 03:07

Thanks for that explanation, I have no idea how the shunt or parallel key might be inserted into the magnet. Apart from the sample bore I cant see any access, but havent looked closely.

The plotter is the first thing I removed though it might be lying somewhere. The idea is to bring the machine into this century by giving it a computer interface, right? Thats pretty much the only part thats obsolete.

Ill have a look tomorrow at the top casing, which I also destined for the tip, it might have the model number on it - I have checked the instrument panel, and that has no model number

[Edited on 15-4-2009 by len1]
BabyBird
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-4-2009 at 09:34

the plotter is important !!!

the machine already has a rs232c computer interface though it needs thermo GRAMS to interpret the file types not cheap :-( once interpreted then Acorn NUTS will do the rest.

as far as I can find out Hitachi ran a simple OS on 8088 microprocessor computer which was linked by rs232c to the control console.

I have thought about using the audio signal from the control console straight off into an AD board on a decent computer, cut out all the interpretation.

Go To Top