Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dinitrobenzene
Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-5-2009 at 14:01
Dinitrobenzene

I searched the forum but found no thread about this explosive.

It is very easy to make (nitrating benzene), and was used as a replacement for TNT (or so I heard) as it has similar sensitivity. Also apparently it is also quite toxic so be careful when working with it.

Today I made some:)
To around 200-250 ml of conc. H2SO4 (boiled down battery acid) I added around 70-80g (perhaps even 100g) of a sodium nitrate/ammonium nitrate mix (don't know the proportions, and it was slightly wet). Then I added around 30-40 ml of benzene in several portions and heated the mixture on a water bath for around 30-40 min while adding some small portions of conc. H2SO4. The benzene layer at first turned green, then orange/red and some NO2 evolved. then I removed the heat and let the mix coll down (it took over 45 min to at least partially coll down). The organic layer then turned green and a lot of some white mass (probably ammonium and sodium hydrogen sulfate) precipitated. Then I shook the flask and the dinitrobenzene almost instantly solidified. I then diluted the mixture with water. The dinitrobenzene particles floated and the white chunks remained on the bottom. I then filtered only the dinitrobenzene, washed it with dilute Na2CO3 solution to neutralize the remaining acid and then with water to make it neutral. Now it is drying. I don't know how much I got (don't have a scale accurate enough to weight it) but it looks like 10g or so.

So did anyone else made it? And is there anything interesting you can do with it?

Zinc
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2009 at 03:50

Quote: Originally posted by Zinc  
then I removed the heat and let the mix coll down (it took over 45 min to at least partially coll down). The organic layer then turned green and a lot of some white mass (probably ammonium and sodium hydrogen sulfate) precipitated.

Well today I dissolved the white mass in boiling water. Most of it dissolved but a considerable amount of dinitrobenzene separated as an water insoluble oil. When it cooled down the dinitrobenzene solidified. I then remelted it several times under dilute Na2CO3 solution and pure water to purify it. So it seems that the yield is not so small as I thought:) This second batch is slightly green from some impurities (the first is nearly white) but it is pure enough for me:P

Go To Top