Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: colloidal silica. Where do you get?
angelhair
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 01:36
colloidal silica. Where do you get?

What kind of places sell coloidal silica, that is, over the counter?
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 17:40

It is used as a glue thickener with epoxy in boatbuilding. Anywhere that sells laminating epoxy, fibreglass etc should have it.

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 9-6-2009 at 21:16

@angelhair: did you search on line? I did and ran into a couple of attack sites right away. If you're running Unix or Linux you might be OK visiting them but if you're running win-doze ex-pee or vista, best stay away.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
angelhair
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2009 at 01:40

Yes, I've come across a few places that sell it. It's aslo used as a concrete floor polish and to line molds for metal casting. If I understand it correctly, it's just a suspension of amorphous silica in suspension, so how come it hardens when the water evaporates off and how can it be safe to walk on, why doesn't dust off?

There was a post on pottery.org where a guy uses it to coat the headers of his exhaust pipes, and another guy who says it can take the place of ITC products. I assume he means ITC-213. They also use it to repair cracks in furnaces etc. Seems like a very useful compound.

Any way I thinking about useing it to coat nichrome wire for imbeding into castable cement, but I won't get into that because I'm discussing it in another thread.

Go To Top