Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Storage of Fuming Nitric acid
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 04:37

This only is true for red fuming nitric acid. I have made red fuming nitric acid and indeed there is no strong pressure buildup. I also had white (actually pale yellow) fuming nitric acid and that did build up pressure and the color of this material slowly intensified!

Apparently, the presence of large amounts of NO2 prevents decomposition of the acid, but pure HNO3 (without NO2) does decompose slowly. I "discarded" the white fuming nitric acid, I did not feel comfortable with this stuff around. I simply dumped it in the bottle of red funing nitric acid and now I don't have any storage issues anymore. I now have a total of 50 ml of fuming acid, made from the red and the white acid. Up to now I hardly found any use for the fuming nitric acids, I just made them for the fun of making them and showing that I indeed can make them.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 08:55

You can use fuming nitric acid to make iodic acid, by refluxing it over iodine. However, for every mole of iodic acid formed, 5 mols of NO2 form, so this is a LOT of NO2.
I would prefer making iodic acid from chloric acid and iodine, the chloric acid is readily prepared from potassium chlorate and tartraric acid, as K-tartrate is very insoluble. There is a write-up on this on versuchschemie.
Saber
alias Picric-A

Mood: vry vry bad mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2009 at 09:41

I was thinking of making around 250ml of FNA at a time to store.
Does RFNA have different nitrating properties than normal WFNA? Its a rather stupid question however i jsut want to be sure becuase the presence of large quantites of NO2 may act as a very good oxidiser.
As to the HF, dont worry, i have no intention of making/using any, it was just a theory of what i could use the PTFE bottles for. Anyway, ive heard HDPE is good for storing >40% HF.

Rather off topic however i thought this looked do-able:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4557920.html
A process to make fuming HNO3 from HCl(g) (from NaCl/NaHSO4) and NO2 (decompostiton of Calcium nitrate fertilizer, )

[Edited on 15-6-2009 by Saber]
Fleaker
International Hazard

Mood: nucleophilic

[*] posted on 17-6-2009 at 12:51

Good grief! What is wrong with storing it in a FEP bottle? They're practically made for nitric acid! Here's the bloody ebay item number:

Even with shipping to England, they're still ridiculously cheap in comparison to what VWR or Fisher sells them for.

If no one has bought any yet, shame on you!! I run my mouth about how great those bottles are all the time, well, because they are great: great for HF, great for HNO3, great for TFA, great for oleums, great for perchloric, great for HI, great for every acid.

As for the RFNA, no it doesn't build up significant pressure even upon months of storing at ambient temperatures while in the dark.

Neither flask nor beaker.

"Kid, you don't even know just what you don't know. "
--The Dark Lord Sauron
Saber
alias Picric-A

[*] posted on 18-6-2009 at 06:35

Someones a fan of FEP bottles i see ;)
I will try get one of those bottles and try em out. I admit it would be usefull storing Oleum...
Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-6-2009 at 12:39

Fan? If those bottles were a woman... (zero maintenance) :P

Please though, I really want to see your Contact process!!!! I have performed the experiment 3 times at the bench scale and it definitely works; I would love to see how you attempted it.

--The Dark Lord Sauron
Saber
alias Picric-A

[*] posted on 20-6-2009 at 13:55

Wait till the 2nd of August (my birthday- im getting a digi cam)!!!
Which experiment did you perform? The oxidation of SO2 using V2O5?
Fleaker
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-6-2009 at 08:56

I did the vanadium (V) oxide-catalyzed oxidation of SO2 and obtained interesting and encouraging results. I lost interest and moved onto another project quite some time ago but I really liked the oleum project. It was just that I had no need for any oleums or SO3.

That said, please do post it up. I'd like to see your Contact process with which you make useful quantities of oleum.

--The Dark Lord Sauron
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top