Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oxidation of Methyl Tiglate
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

Mood: satyric

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 12:05
Oxidation of Methyl Tiglate

When oxidizing the double bond (to an epoxide or diol with a peracid or H2O2), is it likely that the carboxymethyl group will come off?

[Edited on 17-7-2009 by stoichiometric_steve]

com.actelion3.research.chem.gif - 310B

DJF90
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 12:15

Being an electon deficient alkene your best bet would be to use H2O2/NaOH. Following the mechanism I would expect the epoxidation to occur fine, as the other product would be a ketene. However you are still plagued by the basic conditions under which the methyl ester could be hydrolysed. How do you suspect the carboxymethyl group to come off? Do you have any mechanistic reasoning to assume so?
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 12:46

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
Do you have any mechanistic reasoning to assume so?

When using a strong peracid, the resulting epoxide ring could be opened, and the ester could also be hydrolyzed which would leave the carboxyl group prone to coming off. Actually, i didnt really think about the whole thing thoroughly, since it's quite late here already. But thanks for your input, it is greatly appreciated :)

Edit: Using NaOMe with H2O2 would certainly reduce the probability of ester hydrolysis.

[Edited on 17-7-2009 by stoichiometric_steve]

Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 13:14

I would try a buffered biphasic peracid oxidation: the product will be protected from too acidic conditions, and using a PTC would propel the peracid in the organic layer.

What's your plan with this compound? Is this part of a multistep synthesis?

[Edited on 17-7-2009 by Klute]

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 13:24

Here is a tetrahedron review of epoxidation mechanism.

Methyl Methacrylate epoxidation is covered in the review so hopefully it will provide some insight. :)

Decarboxylation may be a problem as joe90 said, but I think with low temperature and good choice of mild reagent it can be avoided. If starting with carboxylic acid then decarboxylation to ketone probably bigger problem.

Attachment: Mechanism of Olefin Epoxidation.pdf (991kB)
This file has been downloaded 966 times

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 16:13

I know the mechanism for epoxidation of olefins with peracids - the problem is that this alkene is electron deficient (due to the carboxylic acid group - its a,b-conjugated) and so should react best with basic H2O2. Steve's suggestion of using methoxide is a good one - with a large excess of methoxide the reaction should work nicely, but as hydroxide is a product of the epoxidation then it begins to hydrolyse the ester - keeping the methoxide concentration high will minimise this (I'm thinking >5 eq.?). I'll attach the mechanism for this reaction:

Epoxidation.JPG - 15kB
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-7-2009 at 23:44

DJF90, do you have any refs for basic H2O2 oxidations handy?

Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

Mood: Stochastic

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 00:00

I see no reason not to use m-chloro-perbenzoic acid here. The ester is not easily cleaved in such mild acidic condtions, though it will surely cleave even in weak base. The mechanism is "concerted", so it's not really appropriate to show nucleophilic addition to the alkene, which is here a Michael acceptor. MCPBA it.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 01:06

Quote: Originally posted by Arrhenius  
I see no reason not to use m-chloro-perbenzoic acid here.

Except for its prohibitive price tag. I would like to stick to peroxide or a low M.W. peracid, if possible.

Formula409
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 03:02

Quote: Originally posted by stoichiometric_steve  
DJF90, do you have any refs for basic H2O2 oxidations handy?

Payne, Deming, & Williams, J. Org. Chem. Vol 26, p569 (1961)

I've also requested it in the refs forum for you, will post when it has been retrieved.

Formula409.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 03:36

Formula, thx. I knew about this one, and it is also described in Org.Syn.

http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv7p0126

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 07:24

I'm sure I have a couple, I'll check my books in a sec. Arrhenius - I think you will find that m-CPBA will not work here, the substrate is an a,b-unsaturated ester meaning that the "alkene portion" is electrophilic rather than nuclephilic - as such it will not attack the m-CPBA (thats the first step of the concerted reaction - the alkene "reaches out" and attacks the oxygen). I have already mention this upthread.

The references I have are:
Weitz, E.; Scheffer, A. CB 1921, 54, 2327
Corey, E. J.; Ensley, H. E. JOC 1973, 38, 3187
Itsuno, S.; Sakakura, M.; Ito, K. JOC 1990, 55, 6047

I trust you are capable of getting these yourself - they seem to be for a,b-unsaturated acids and ketones, but esters should react the same as departure of the alkoxy group would yield a ketene (follow the mechaism and you'll see what I mean).
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 08:27

Here is better paper than mechanism crap I posted before! :)

Peracetic acid as oxidant and decent yields ;)

Attachment: Epoxidation of a,b-Unsaturated Esters with Peracetic Acid.pdf (567kB)
This file has been downloaded 1214 times

Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 09:44

DJF90 - Yes, I know you already mentioned this, and I disagreed. I know it's a Michael acceptor, but that doesn't mean it can't be a nucleophile. But anyhow... I think there's absolutely no question that your hydroxide ion is going to 'reach out' and saponify the ester... I've run saponification with 1eq of base stirring overnight; sounds like the epoxidation reaction requirements.

I think MCPBA will work. MCPBA is cheap, so i'll assume what 'too expensive' means is 'unavailable' or 'i'm making this on multi-kg scale for profit'. peracetic or performic would be my second choice. Don't bother with the buffering, just run on a small scale and see what you get.
stoichiometric_steve
National Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 09:58

Quote: Originally posted by Arrhenius  
'i'm making this on multi-kg scale for profit'

I'm essentially trying to keep the whole process as "green" as possible.
Besides that, roughly 400 EUR per kg of mCPBA isn't exactly what i would call cheap.

[Edited on 18-7-2009 by stoichiometric_steve]

DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 16:03

Arrhenius - I see your point. However a nucleophilic HO-O(-) species is likely to react with the michael acceptor at a much higher rate - the long reaction times should not be needed, and if NaOMe is used as the base then hydrolysis should not be that much of a problem. Albeit still a problem.
Arrhenius
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 16:21

Can't use methoxide in water as it yields methanol and hydroxide. Can't use peroxide without water as it explodes. The rate of ester hydrolysis is quite fast.... I don't know, I just don't see it going well.

The rate of ester hydrolysis under acidic conditions is much slower than in basic conditions, and the water is less of an issue. MCPBA does not contain water, but it's also a good portion benzoic acid (pure MCPBA explodes). Peracetic acid and performic acid cannot be prepared without water as anhydrous hydrogen peroxide is unavailable.

[Edited on 19-7-2009 by Arrhenius]
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 16:25

Good points. I know of a compound that can be used to yield anhydrous peroxide in situ - Steve can PM me for details. I hadnt considered the presence of water beforehand though - thanks for drawing my attention to that. Ester hydrolysis will happen regardless, as m-CBA (a byproduct of m-CPBA oxidation) will act as an acid catalyst. Assuming the rate of basic hydrolysis is approximately equal to acid hydrolysis (a big assumption I know) then surely the reagent that epoxidises fastest is the one that is best to use for this specific reaction.

Ok you edited before I posted so now some of what I said is obselete.

[Edited on 19-7-2009 by DJF90]
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2009 at 20:15

You can use sodium perborate to generate peracids in-situ with minimum amount of water. Yje only water introduced would be the water from hydratation of the perborate, and the generation of the peracid.

I think perborate can be used in basic conditions too for epoxidation.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-7-2009 at 05:46

Yes it should work well. And no doubt the perborate and methoxide required will be cheaper than the m-CPBA, and also greener, which was one of steve's points upthread IIRC.

Go To Top