Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: cinnamic acid
lilly
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 14:11
cinnamic acid

The mild oxidation of cinnamaldehyde should obviously yeild
cinnamic acid. I have read of no one doing this.I think a rhodium file I read said permanganate on a solid support oxidized a cinnamic acid to the benzaldehyde.
Can anyone suggest a procedure with a good chance of
oxidizing to the acid with out touching the double bond.
i have Mno2 and peroxide any ideas as to best solvents and reagents to try would be most helpful.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 15:36

All you need is an oxidant that does not cleave or alter double bonds. MnO2 is no good as it is designed to oxidise allylic alcohols without overoxidation to the acid (i.e. it stops at the aldehyde). Perhaps jones reagent is applicable here, although id double check that... Sodium chlorite (NaClO2) is also used specifically for this kind of transformation (i.e. aldehyde to acid, in the presence of a,b-unsaturation amoungst other things). Workup would be much easier and cleaner than using jones reagent/chromic acid.

In fact, conversion of allylic alcohol to allylic acid is preferably done in two stages using MnO2, then NaClO2, rather than the "simpler oxidation" with chromic acid because it is generally cleaner and higher yielding. Obviously you wouldnt need the MnO2 oxidation as you're starting with the aldehyde.

[Edited on 29-8-2009 by DJF90]
Klute
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 16:20

I guess you could use H2O2 with a iron catalyst, have a look in the "oxidation of benzylic alcohols" thread for details, I don't think you will have epoxidation in none-basic envinronement. Hey even NaOCl could do the job, if buffered.

\"You can battle with a demon, you can embrace a demon; what the hell can you do with a fucking spiritual computer?\"

-Alice Parr
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-8-2009 at 16:27

Yes H2O2 oxidation in a non-basic environment may also work, but dont adjust the pH too low or you will have significant decompostion of the peroxide. I don't even think an iron catalyst would be needed Klute, but I havent seen the thread so I'm not in a great position to comment on that. There are numerous reagents that will work for the reaction, its just a matter of finding the one that works best, and often one method will excel far above the others.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 12:51
cinnamic acid via the Perkin reaction

I have recently prepared cinnamic acid via the Perkin reaction per Brewster et al, 1960. This a base (NaOAc) catalyzed condensation reaction between benzaldehyde and Ac2O.

In an 8" x 1" test tube 10.1 mL of benzaldehyde (homemade), 11 mL Ac2O (homemade), 1 mL pyridine (homemade) a catalyst, and 12g of technical anhydrous NaOAc were mixed with a stirring rod. The NaOAc did not dissolve well, most remaining as a slurry.

The reaction tube was equipped with an air condenser and placed in a hot oil bath (silicone brake fluid, DOT 5). The bath was placed on a stirrer hotplate. The hotplate was powered through a PID controller with a thermocouple for temperature control. The heating schedule was: 2 hours at 145C followed by 5 hours at 175C. Some tar formed right away and turned the reaction mix dark brown. Also, much of the NaOAc settled to the bottom of the tube. See photo below:

Perkin rx tube.jpg - 93kB

Temperature control was quite satisfactory throughout. When the gummy reaction mix had cooled it was laboriously removed from the test tube via spatula and placed in a 1000 ml RBF with 250 mL distilled water. The tarry mix was then steam distilled to remove unreacted benzaldehyde. This produced about 125mL of condensate. The product was then basified with NaOH solution. This was then filtered into a 1000mL Erlenmeyer flask:

[Edited on 4-9-2009 by Magpie]

filtered Na Cinnamate.jpg - 61kB

The filtrate was then acidified by addition of muriatic acid. This resulted in the formation of a massive amount of fine flake crystals of cinnamic acid. This was Buchner filtered and the cake redissolved in 850 mL of boiling water. The flask was allowed to sit for a few hours while the cinnamic acid recrystalized. The crystals were again Buchner filtered then allowed to dry overnight.

The 3.7g of crystals were very light and fluffy, and had a slight yellow cast, which I suspect is from residual tar. Melting point was 134C which is in agreement with literature values for trans-cinnamic acid. Expected yield was 61%, actual yield was 25%, based on the amount of benzaldehyde charged.

cinnamic acid.jpg - 60kB

Discussion
Although Brewster mentioned that there would possibly be some tar I was very surprised at the amount. Perhaps my homemade, somewhat impure, reactants contributed to this.

All the undissolved NaOAc was also somewhat plagueing. This residual just formed a hard mass on the bottom of the tube. I doubt the procedure authors intended that result.

Next time I would pour the reaction mix into the RBF before it had a chance to cool and solidify.

When I saw the heavy tar formation early in the heating period I didn't have much hope for any yield. I am happy with the product as the mp indicates high purity despite its yellow cast.

I'm looking forward to making some hopefully nice smelling esters with the product using methyl, ethyl, and benzyl alcohols.

A 2007 mechanism:

Perkin reaction mechanism.png - 18kB

from: http://www.springerlink.com/content/h45v0h1782637462/

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 4-9-2009 at 13:57

hmm jon is interested in cinnamic acid esters also cinnamic anhydride is easily prepared from this by forming the mixed anhydride with acetic anhydride.
the boiling point of acetic anhydride is very close to the m.p. of cinnamic acid the reaction is driven by distillation of thelower boiling acetic acid b.p. 118 this may work since the mixed anhydride is a different animal.
the procedure calls for piping the anhydride into heated cinnamic acid.
jon thinks it could be added dropwise or just added in portions.
but propionic anhydride seems prefereable.
since it's b.p is 172 and propionic acid boils at 130~ or so the points are broader and the acid distills closer to the m.p. of cinnamic acid.
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 11:12

Magpie, your yield is much better than mine was. I followed the procedure in Vogel 4th edition on a scale of 21 gm benzaldehyde. I used NaOAc (purchased, anhydrous) instead of KOAc. All reagents were purchased commercially. The procedure looks very much like yours, but there is no pyridine. I can't tell if you used stirring during the reflux, I suppose you did; I did stir it magnetically. My notes say the reaction turned yellow, not dark brown, for what its worth. My notes don't mention how much tar was produced, but it was filtered, per Vogel, to remove "resinous byproducts".

After recrys. from H2O/EtOH, the mp was low (124 vs 133) so the recrys. was repeated using only water. Yield was 2.8 g (9.6%) and mp = 131-132 C. Vogel gives the expected yield as 18 g (62%).

All in all, I think you did a great job. This prep is a Dog.
crazyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: Marginally insane

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 11:21

Anything interesting that cinnamic acid can be used for? Google didn't yield much.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 11:50

re: entropy51

Thanks for the comparison of results. As you can see my reaction mix wasn't just yellow, it was dark brown. What amazed me is how fast the tar formed even at 145C. But it probably doesn't take much to cause heavy coloration.

No, I had no stirring of the reactants in the test tube. A stir bar was used to keep the silicone oil temperature uniform. Stirring of the reactants looks like a good idea although Brewster did not call for it.

I agree that this procedure has a canine pedigree. ;) It was probably my dirtiest synthesis ever. But it did give some product.

Did your NaOAc give the appearance of not dissolving?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 13:10

Brewster didn't mention stirring because college labs didn't have magnetic stirrers in those days. But you're too young to remember that.:D

My notes didn't mention anything about the NaOAc not dissolving, but it's been too long for me to remember. I probably would have noted it if that had happened.

From my perspective, you did a fine job. With stirring you might get even more.
jon
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid distrustful apprehensive

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 14:15

that's a tough mechanism to pick apart.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 5-9-2009 at 14:25

Quote:

Brewster didn't mention stirring because college labs didn't have magnetic stirrers in those days. But you're too young to remember that.

That's true and was my guess too. I wonder what Perkin used. We didn't have ground glass fittings either - just bored stoppers.

I checked my Vogel and it specifies 12g of NaOAc. This is the same amount that Brewster specifies yet the benzaldehyde and Ac2O are about half those of Vogel. That may be an error in scaling down and would explain what appeared to be a gross quantity of NaOAc.

jon: Right, I gave up on trying to understand it after about the first line or so. But I thought I should present what appears to be the latest thinking on the Perkin reaction.

[Edited on 5-9-2009 by Magpie]

entropy51
Gone, but not forgotten

[*] posted on 6-9-2009 at 10:20

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
We didn't have ground glass fittings either - just bored stoppers.

I'll bet you didn't have heating mantles either. We used bunsen burners for everything in my organic class. Surprisingly we never had an ether fire, but we did have one benzen fire during the two semester course. The TA put the fire out in about 30 seconds.

When we did Grignards we flame dried the glassware. Before they brought the ether in the TA went around and confiscated all the burners. Worked quite well to prevent accidents.
Everado E. Dinavo
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 16:19

Cinnamaldehyde is also oxidized by atmospheric O2 to cinnamic acid rather rapidly. I have observed this occur on glasswhere where some cinnamaldehyde traces were left on overnight, resulting in pale yellow, nearly white crystals with a much different odor. Also, the lid of cinnamaldehyde bottles can be found to have these crystals and the odor if they have been aged for a few years. I am fairly certain this is not the aldehyde hydrate that is forming, because I have specifically read that cinnamaldehyde needs to be stored away from oxygen to prevent oxidation. I never actually tried to identify the crystals, but I might give it another try since it requires about no work, provided you already have the cinnamaldehyde (which you say you have, Lilly). Just pour out a thin layer of cinnemaldehyde into the bottom of a beaker or petri dish, or even a plate and just leave it until it turns into crystals. The conversion should be good as long as the surface area is high.

[Edited on 9/10/2009 by Everado E. Dinavo]
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 9-9-2009 at 19:58

Got aniline? Under the proper conditions, Diazonium Salts, couple nicely with acrylic acid esters, to form cinnamic acid esters. Good yields.

True, aniline is impressively toxic, but reactions of this type, can be used to produce materials, that are very interesting, and very hard to produce by other methods.
Sleipnir
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 00:52

maybe a oxidation with hydrogen peroxide could be appropriate like in "Hydrogen peroxide oxidation of aldehydes to carboxylic acids: an organic solvent-, halide- and metal-free procedure "
by Kazuhiko Sato, Mamoru Hyodo, Junko Takagi, Masao Aoki and Ryoji Noyori

(can't read the paper actually)

since i haven't got malonic acid i like the idea of making cinnamic acid from cinnamaldehyde ...

[Edited on 11-9-2009 by Sleipnir]
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 17:18

On the other hand, utilizing the diazotization of the amino-acid Phenylalanine, you could form either the halo-acid, or the hydroxy-acid.

Upon dehydration, or de-hydro-halogenation, cinnamic acid should be produced.

This might appear to be an expensive method for producing cinnamic acid.

But, if feasible, there is a rationale for the approach.

In this era, of difficult reagent accessibility, Phenylalanine is very easy to acquire.

There are no shipping problems. And, it isn't very expensive. With almost no effort, I was able to find DL Phenylalanine for sale, for 39.99/Kilo or 15.00/300grams.

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by zed]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 20:03

By DL-phenylalanine, I presume you mean the racemic mixture of its two stereoisomers, marketed as a nutritional supplement for its supposed analgesic and antidepressant activities, which must be produced synthetically as only the L-stereoisomer occurs naturally as one of the about 20 essential amino-acids constituting natural proteins. I am somewhat surprised that it is still so readily available, though, because of its potential for conversion to phenethylamine, and possibilities for conversion of this by methyl or methoxy etc. substitutions to amphetamine or methamphetamine or related psychoactive compounds.
zed
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2009 at 22:01

Phenylalanine is not easily convertible to any amphetamine. Though it can be done.

It is however, readily convertible to phenethylamine.

Fortunately, most chemists have chosen to NOT pursue, the unenlightened path, of phenethylamine based analgesic synthesis.

More specific to this thread, Phenylalanine might serve as a practical starting material for a fairly simple cinnamic acid synthesis.

Phenylalanine is readily available, at least, here in the States, and the acquisition of reagents like Benzaldehyde or Acetic Anhydride, can be fairly difficult .

[Edited on 12-9-2009 by zed]
benzylchloride1
Hazard to Others

Mood: Pushing the envelope of synthetic chemistry in one's basement

[*] posted on 16-9-2009 at 21:08

I recently conducted two experiments with the Perkin Reaction. I attempted to synthesize cinnamic acid from benzaldehyde, acetic anhydride and triethylamine as a base. 10ml of benzaldehyse, 15ml acetic anhydride and 7 ml of triethylamine where heated together with stirring in a 100ml rbf with condenser for 3 hours. The mixture was then added to water, steam distilled and a large amount of unreacted benzaldehyde was recovered and used for a synthesis of alpha phenyl cinnamic acid. The resulting residue in the still pot was boiled with decolorizing charcoal, filtered and strongly acidified with 12m HCl. After cooling, 0.24g of producted crystallized, for a incredible percentage yield of 2%! I have not taken the Mp yet.
My synthesis of alpha cinnamic acid was much for successful.
5.0g of phenyl acetic acid, awful smell, 6.0 ml benzaldehyde, 4.0ml of triethylamine and 4.0ml of acetic anhydride were heated together in a 50ml rbf with condenser for 1.5 hours. The work up was according to the procedure specified in Williamson, Microscale and Macroscale Organic Experiments, since it is to long winded to repeat at this moment. 3.56g of product was obtained in a percent yield of 47%, I have both E and Z isomers isolated according to the procedure, I still need to take melting points.

[Edited on 17-9-2009 by benzylchloride1]

Amateur NMR spectroscopist
Waffles SS
Fighter

[*] posted on 24-1-2014 at 10:17

My experience:
Benzaldehyde 63 gr,90 gr Ac2O, 33gr Sodium acetate ,2gr pyridine
reaction time:6hour
Yield: 58gr impure(30gr pure)
According to Vogel 5th.experiment 6.138.page1038

2013-08-04 09.09.58.jpg - 84kB

DSC00058.JPG - 98kB

DSC00059.JPG - 91kB

DSC00060.JPG - 102kB

DSC00061.JPG - 92kB

DSC00062.JPG - 88kB

DSC00066.JPG - 94kB

DSC00067.JPG - 98kB

[Edited on 24-1-2014 by Waffles SS]
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 24-1-2014 at 11:12

Cinnamic acid is nicely oxidized by chlorite; you just have to have a scavenger in there to make sure any hypochlorite that is generated doesn't attack the double bond or chlorinate the ring.

I took 6.3 mL of cinnimaldehyde, 1.6 g sodium dihydrogen phosphate, dissolved them in 20 mL water and 30 mL isopropanol, and added 6 mL of 30% hydrogen peroxide. In a separate flask, I dissolved 8.0 g sodium chlorite in 50 mL water, and slowly added this, with stirring to the first solution. I let it stir an hour (it warmed up, and gave an orange oil that floated on top). After cooling well in an ice bath, I got 6.58 g of off-white crystals (89% yield), mp 131.5-133.2 oC).

Recrystallizing it from isopropanol (3.8 g in 20 mL, heat to dissolve, cool in ice to precipitate) gave a much smaller yield (0.9 g) of white crystals (mp 132.2 - 133.9 oC).

I tried a similar trial with a few drops of phosphoric acid added, thinking that a slightly lower pH would speed up the reaction. It gave similar yield and mp, but the initial foaming and evolution of an orange-yellow gas put me off of trying that again.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 10:56

If you're following a literature procedure please provide a reference. Do you really think you need so much hydrogen peroxide as a scavenger in the Pinnick oxidation?

Chlorite reacts with acid to liberate ClO2, hence the yellow-orange gas you observed with phosphoric acid.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 25-1-2014 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
If you're following a literature procedure please provide a reference. Do you really think you need so much hydrogen peroxide as a scavenger in the Pinnick oxidation?

I'm not an organic chemist- I was following this patent:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4549025.html

If you've got a better reference, I'd be delighted to read it.

Quote:
Chlorite reacts with acid to liberate ClO2, hence the yellow-orange gas you observed with phosphoric acid.

Yes, I figured that out myself, thanks.

[Edited on 25-1-2014 by DraconicAcid]

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Hoffnung
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2014 at 10:59

Hi all,

I will be also interested in preparing cinnamic acid from cinnamaldehyde soon, surely the next Spring. Since I don't have chlorites I am looking up for feasible alternatives. I wonder if anyone have tried this one yet:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4778924.html
The 8 h of reaction time is discouraging, but I guess that 40ÂșC is more or less the same as leaving it on the sun in Summer, so it looks interesting.

I'm looking for a reference on the method that Everado E. Dinavo said but I can't find it.

Another method I found in a book is the oxidation using the Tollens reagent, but there aren't any details/recipe.

Well, I'm posting my method and results as soon as I make it. See you.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top