Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making an ether based macrocycle using PTC
andre178
Hazard to Self

Mood: pacified

[*] posted on 14-12-2009 at 14:03
Making an ether based macrocycle using PTC

Hello, I am new to the forum, and I was hoping that someone could help out a bit, I am trying to synthesize a "tris-malonate" macrocycle

Picture 3.png - 11kB

using TEG, malonyl chloride, KF all in methylene chloride. The benzyltriethylammonium chloride is the phase-transfer catalyst. I've found this reaction in a paper using KF as nucleophile.

I'm trying to figure out why use fluoride, wouldn't the acyl chloride do a fine job on its own?

I'm doing the following reaction right now at RT~4h stirring,

Picture 4.png - 19kB
it's stirring in the hood.

Any help would be great, the reaction I drew above lists only the first product of the reaction, the second would be a bis-malonate and then finally a tris malonate adduct.

Thank you, :o

Andre

[Edited on 12-15-2009 by andre178]
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-12-2009 at 14:32

Quote: Originally posted by andre178  
I've found this reaction in a paper using KF as nucleophile.

...and just what is the reference? Members here are not mind readers and I am certainly not going to search for that paper myself when it is about your convenience.
Quote:
I'm trying to figure out why use fluoride, wouldn't the acyl chloride do a fine job on its own?

You don't see any F atoms in the product, do you? So KF is not used as a nucleophile as you thought. It is only the base used to make the alcohol react with the acid chloride and scavenge any HCl. Many alcohols react slowly with some acid chlorides. The most commonly employed base for esterifications is simply pyridine. Unless you give the pertaining reference we can only guess on why specifically KF was used. In the synthesis of macrocyclic ethers, often bases with large cations are used so that their chelation guides the cyclisation. In this case, at the beginning of the reaction, you mostly have only the benzyltriethylammonium cation in the solution. This however, to my knowledge, can only be very poorly chelated (at least when compared to metal cations, so maybe K(+) takes this function).

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
andre178
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-12-2009 at 14:41

good points! my bad, the paper is:

Selective Syntheses of Novel Polyether Fullerene Multiple Adducts, by Zhiguo Zhou, David I. Schuster, and Stephen R. Wilson*J. Org. Chem., 2003, 68 (20), pp 7612–7617
DOI: 10.1021/jo034542l

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jo034542l
andre178
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-12-2009 at 16:36

just updates on the reactions: the organic turned out a mellow yellow-orange

IMG_0004.jpg - 42kB

and I began to run a flash column with ethyl-acetate:hexanes (4 to 1)

IMG_0006.JPG - 57kB
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 14-12-2009 at 20:14

FYI, you drew four ethylenes in your mono product. :P

I suppose there would also be polymers of various length, unless cyclicization is specifically selected (which could be where the potassium comes in).

Tim

[Edited on 12-15-2009 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2009 at 00:40

Andre178, the authors already answer to your question in the discussion part of the paper: "Macrocycles 5 and 6 with two and three identical linkers, respectively, were prepared from the condensation of malonyl dichloride with triethylene glycol under solid-liquid phase-transfer-catalysis (PTC) conditions using KF as base and template, triethyl(benzyl)ammonium chloride (TEBA) as catalyst, and dichloromethane as solvent (Scheme 2).[ref 20] Macrocycles with different ring size were separated by flash chromatography. Macrocycles with more than three malonate units were also obtained. The yields of 5 and 6 were improved, compared with those in the absence of PTC conditions."

For the synthesis of 5 and 6, they do not use dilution to induce cyclisation, so a template guided cyclisation is a reasonable assumption (on the other hand, in the synthesis of the macrocycle 1 they use pyridine and thus the high dilution technique). The only thing they do not give any hypothesis for is the beneficial role of 4 mol% TEBA. The observation that the yields of higher macrocycles 5 and 6 are improved by the use of PTC conditions is in opposition to their claim that KF is used for a template, unless it is about an optimum compromise between base catalysis (PTC preventing HCl build up which would perhaps inhibit chelation) and potassium cation template guided cyclisation. You might want to find that reference 20 they give for more details.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!

Go To Top