Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Windup magnetic stirrer.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 20:30
Windup magnetic stirrer.

Decided to try and make one from an old magnetic stirrer i have with a blown motor. I often want to stir things in the ultra-low freezer and this would be a solution. I never did win the rubber band powered car competition at school so i'm negative about my chances on this project already. Do the spring steels used in windup mechanisms fail to perform at -85, if someone knows i could then discount it before wasting time on it.

Any one have any alternative ideas other than the stocko winding mechanism( using springs), batteries, drilling a hole into my fridge or doing the reaction on the surface of pluto.

How does one vary the speed on a winding mechanism without simply applying greater load (and therefore limiting the time one wind will stir for), is it simply with gears or is there a tricky way.

Any good links would be appreciated.

aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 1-1-2010 at 20:42

You may want to consider whether the bearings and other mechanical bits in your stirrer function at -85degC. I'm sure you can store it in the freezer for a day or so, pull it out, and try to spin the magnet by hand. Lubricants might be too viscous (or freeze), or different metal sleeves might contract and seize.

A windup mechanism seems like an awkward idea simply because you will need a huge amount of tension to maintain spinning and speed. Opening the freezer to wind it back up might just allow enough heat to enter to make the whole thing warm up.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 06:46

Quote: Originally posted by Panache  
drilling a hole into my fridge
I would recommend this one, as it would seem to put the least extra heat load on your refrigerator. Just consider the stir platform to be a new, permanent modification to the freezer. You shouldn't need to use a metal axle with high thermal conductivity; a plastic one should do fine.
densest
Hazard to Others

Mood: slowly warming to strain point

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 22:15

If you decide to use a metal axle, stainless steel is a remarkably bad heat conductor for a metal. A dovetailed plastic insert between metal sections could provide a thermal break and the plastic would only be in compression rather than torsion = much stronger.
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 02:40

So as i understand you guys are advocating a hole in the freezer for the purposes of running a shaft into it that would drive the stirrer, not running a power lead in into which i could plug any device i wanted. I currently have a heavy duty mag stirrrer (geared) chilling nicely in the freezer, i will take it out later and give it a whirl.

densest
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 05:36

The lubrication in your motor and gearbox is not designed to work below (say) -10C, so it may spin, but it may seize up just when you don't want it to. A geared stirrer will put out a fair amount of heat moving its grease around. If you wanted to change the grease for an arctic-rated blend, it might help. The clearances for the gears and bearings may not be correct once they are chilled that much. That could cause either much heat from unexpected friction or failure from galling or simply jamming. The gears may become brittle enough to shatter. There are a lot of unknowns putting the stirrer to work in that environment.

It's about trade-offs. The external powered version will -probably- work longer with fewer surprises and with less load on the freezer compressor. Think of it this way: cooling 1L of water (once frozen) to -85C over an hour requires removing about 100 watts. Adding (say) 25W of motor heat is significant in that environment. If you wanted to be really paranoid about heat leakage, you could use a magnetic coupling through a plastic barrier so no air would leak either way. You may be able to find out from the freezer manufacturer how much heat it can pump, what the heat leakage under standard conditions is, and judge from that.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 07:31

-85 is fairly tough on a lot of things, read one of the books on the Antarctic research expeditions; there were a couple that covered the IGY ones back in `57-58.

A shaft to on external drive sounds like the least troublesome route to me.

Panache
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 18:03

lol, i took out the stirrer after leaving it in overnight, it had a nice covering of dry ice condensed from the air. Plugged it straight in and turned it on, absolutely nothing happened, i put my head close to it and there was a slight hum. Thirty minutes later it was running fine again.
I had a thought about a windup mouse (cat toy), i wonder how long they would spin around the bottom of 5 litre beaker for, i'll buy one i'm at the supermarket next.

aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 19:37

Realistically, a windup spring would need to be under a fair amount of tension, and usually under very cold temperatures, elastic materials lose their elasticity. Perhaps somewhere in a materials science text you could find out where regular spring steel loses its elasticity?
densest
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-1-2010 at 20:40

Cold hard steel shatters. Bicycle thieves love LN2.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 18:42

Hello,

This may not suit you but if you do not want to drill a hole and put in a shaft going into the freezer you can position a rotating magnet(s) close to the inside skin of the freezer (magnets are outside the freezer chamber) and place your vessel to be stirred above the rotating magnets. The skin will have to be made from plastic or Al (not Iron) for the magnets to spin the stirrer bar. You will have to cut away the outside skin + the insulation where you are going to place the spinning magnet(s).

Dann2
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 15:07

Go To Top