Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Enclosure for a loose heating mantle?
aonomus
Hazard to Others

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 11:06
Enclosure for a loose heating mantle?

So I've come across an old 500mL replacement heating mantle element for a now defunct unit, and I'm wondering what the best way to make a base for the unit is? I don't have any machine shop tools other than a drill press, so I'm fairly limited in what I can do.

The mantle itself is like an upside-down pith helmet with a metal ring on the outside. The inner portion of the circle contains the element, while the outer portion has a tighter weave of the fabric, and is more rigid.

My question is what kind of enclosure would be suitable to house this mantle? A steel mixing bowl comes to mind, although it isn't in the right shape....
User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 11:14

Maybe a bit simple but why not.

How about building a simple wooden frame around it.
Bit of the same construction as with bigger mantels.
Wood has a very high resistance to solvents acids and bases.
Gets ugly but imo beauty must not be such a high priority.

How about some rockwool insolation under it.

[Edited on 12-2-2010 by User]

What a fine day for chemistry this is.
aonomus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 11:40

I was thinking about using the mixing bowl as the main housing, and building a wood box around it, and adding clean fiberglass insulation (not the pink stuff, just pure fiberglass meant for use in the lab) into the bowl under the mantle.
User
Hazard to Others

Mood: Passionate

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 11:52

If you have acces to a welding device you could just weld some legs under the bowl.
That must look sexy :P

Dunno if isolation is really nessecary, I know i just proposed it but maybe its not even worth the trouble.

What a fine day for chemistry this is.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 12:11

Quote: Originally posted by aonomus  
I was thinking about using the mixing bowl as the main housing, and building a wood box around it, and adding clean fiberglass insulation (not the pink stuff, just pure fiberglass meant for use in the lab) into the bowl under the mantle.
Perlite, sand, and cement make a decent insulating refractory, and for this application, you don't even need to be very refractory. An advantage of a plastic material like this is that you can ram it up in any shape you want, into a shell container of pretty arbitrary material.
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-2-2010 at 12:48

The Glas-Col mantles that I use have no support. I support them with an iron ring cross-hatched with 2 strips of fiberglass cloth. These are available from places like VWR and Fisher.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Panache
International Hazard

Mood: Instead of being my deliverance, she had a resemblance to a Kat named Frankenstein

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 02:44

Don't bother with a housing. Wire the mantle safely, then simply hold it around your 500ml rb with the use of two small springs overlapping above the rb. this allows you to place it directly onto a magnetic stirrer. If you really want a housing i'll send you one of a few i have 'dehoused' to perform what i just mentioned.
The only disadvantage i have really noticed is i am not able to use my mantles as rb holders anymore, i have to be organised and get out a cork ring

aonomus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-2-2010 at 04:25

Shipping from Australia -> Canada would practically be the cost of a mantle unit. Thanks for the offer though.

I tried fiddling with a ring clamp I had, close but not quite - I'll have to get a larger one. Another concern is that because the wires are just loose, abrasions could ruin them or repeated bending at one point could cause a stress crack. I'll just have to treat it gently and it should do fine.

Go To Top