Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Allihn condenser -- need some parts
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 15-3-2010 at 14:42
Allihn condenser -- need some parts

Hey everyone!

About a year ago, I was in India, and decided to get some glassware. Glassware there is cheap, but still good grade. So I bought essentially 70% of the glassware I have now from India and brought it back to USA (I don't have much glassware anyways).

In India, I asked for a condenser, and all they could come up with was an Allihn condenser. I took it (It only costed me 15 bucks!). But here's the issue: I only bought the condenser. No parts, no adapters. A refluxing condenser like this would be very useful to me in the future when I want to prepare some organic materials very easily. So where can I get parts? I presume this is a 200 mm condenser with 24/40 fit parts. I may upload a picture.

The narrow part where I presume the thermometer or drying apparatus goes is chipped a bit, and the inside of the condenser is coated with a dark dusty material. However, my main concern is the location at which I would get adapters to attach this to a 250-500 ml RBF flask.

Are there any sources that will sell this for cheap? I don't want to hav e to spend $50 on a few adapters.
Bolt
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-3-2010 at 17:33

a picture would help...
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-3-2010 at 20:51

I will get one up soon....
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 15-3-2010 at 23:23

Uh, If you're just refluxing, the male 24/40 joint goes straight into the female joint on the RBF. Or you can drop a claisen adapter between the two and add a thermometer.

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
MagicJigPipe
International Hazard

Mood: Suspicious

[*] posted on 19-3-2010 at 20:45

That's what I was thinking. It's like anything else, just put peg A into round hole A. If you have round hole B then search on eBay for a 24/40 to B adapter (or just buy a 24/40 RBF).

"There must be no barriers to freedom of inquiry ... There is no place for dogma in science. The scientist is free, and must be free to ask any question, to doubt any assertion, to seek for any evidence, to correct any errors. ... We know that the only way to avoid error is to detect it and that the only way to detect it is to be free to inquire. And we know that as long as men are free to ask what they must, free to say what they think, free to think what they will, freedom can never be lost, and science can never regress." -J. Robert Oppenheimer
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-4-2010 at 10:06

I took some pictures of the condenser a long time ago, sorry for the delay. I tried just putting the thing on a 250 ml RBF, it didn't work very well. Is it supposed to be rather loose? I'm sure I need an adapter of some sort.

That will give a slight view of the male side (the side going into the condenser)

That's just the other side -- where the thermometer goes.

[Edited on 25-4-2010 by Rich_Insane]

[Edited on 25-4-2010 by Rich_Insane]
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2010 at 11:25

Quote: Originally posted by Rich_Insane  
Hey everyone!

About a year ago, I was in India, and decided to get some glassware. Glassware there is cheap, but still good grade. So I bought essentially 70% of the glassware I have now from India and brought it back to USA (I don't have much glassware anyways).

In India, I asked for a condenser, and all they could come up with was an Allihn condenser. I took it (It only costed me 15 bucks!). But here's the issue: I only bought the condenser. No parts, no adapters. A refluxing condenser like this would be very useful to me in the future when I want to prepare some organic materials very easily. So where can I get parts? I presume this is a 200 mm condenser with 24/40 fit parts. I may upload a picture.

The narrow part where I presume the thermometer or drying apparatus goes is chipped a bit, and the inside of the condenser is coated with a dark dusty material. However, my main concern is the location at which I would get adapters to attach this to a 250-500 ml RBF flask.

Are there any sources that will sell this for cheap? I don't want to hav e to spend $50 on a few adapters.

This looks like a condenser used with a soxhlet extraction app.

Attachment: LABBLAST.tif (145kB)
This file has been downloaded 482 times
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-4-2010 at 18:13

Quote: Originally posted by Rich_Insane  
Hey everyone!

I come from the KISS school of engineering. You can work
wonders with plastic tubing ... if your temperatures are no
to high.

Buy it a bit smaller, put the end in boiling water and slip it
on. To remove it... slit it with a knife. I guarantee you cannot
simply pull it off.

Go To Top