Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 5-Isopropylresorcinol Questions
Jackson
Hazard to Others

Mood: :) Happy about new glassware :)

[*] posted on 23-1-2019 at 21:27
5-Isopropylresorcinol Questions

Im am attempting a synthesis of an organic lignand which has 4,6 Benzhydrl-5-amino-cumene as its main constituent. My plan to synthesize this compound is by brominating 5-isopropyl-resorcinol to 4,6 bromocumene and then nitrating it to 4,6-bromo-5-nitro-cumene. Then react that with Mg to form a gringard reagent, and use a Kumada coupling reaction between it and bromodiphenylmethane to form 4,6-benzhydrl-5-nitro-cumene. Then the nitro group would be reduced to a amine using PtO2.

Does this synth seem like it would work? I also am only going to try it if I can find a way to make 5-isopropylresorcinol or if my inquiry about its price is something I can afford.

Is there anything you guys can find on a synth for 5-isopropylresorcinol? I cant really find anything. Could I use a Friedel-Crafts Alkylation with resorcinol's methyl ester and isopropyl chloride to form it?

Thanks,
Jackson
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-1-2019 at 23:44

1https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/1910/ct/ct910... (use isopropyl alcohol instead of methanol)

2https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/15533174.2011.5...

3.appel reaction

after this you can do kumada coupling followed by reduction to get the target compound

ligand.png - 4kB
Jackson
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2019 at 08:10

Okay, thanks so much.

So the nitration will favor the 5 position?

I assume so but I just want to make sure.

Thanks,

Jackson
Jackson
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2019 at 10:11

CuReUS

For the first reaction, I cannot find how that paper has any mention of creating a methyl resorcinol from resorcinol. I must be missing something, could you tell me what you are refering too?

Thanks,
Jackson
CuReUS
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2019 at 06:21

Quote: Originally posted by Jackson  
CuReUS

For the first reaction, I cannot find how that paper has any mention of creating a methyl resorcinol from resorcinol. Jackson
Sorry I made a mistake.The paper uses m-cresol,not resorcinol.I mistook the methyl group of m-cresol for OH :D.This means we can't make 5-isopropyl resorcinol that way

the another thing you could do is to make 3,5-dihydroxybenzoic acid(from resorcinol or benzoic acid),do a kochi reaction to get 5-bromoresorcinol and then do a suzuki coupling with 2-bromopropane to get 5-isopropylresorcinol

[Edited on 26-1-2019 by CuReUS]

Go To Top