A note of caution from Dr. Ellern

Thus, pyrotechnics [energetic materials] cannot be regarded as
a harmless amusement and hobby for the amateur. Only if the
processor always acts under the assumption that his mixture can
spontaneously “go off” without discernible cause will he avoid
grievous injuries and damage. Unfortunately, the beginner will
often pass through an initial period of caution and anxiety
followed by an optimistic feeling of relaxation and subsequent
carelessness, culminating in an accident.

Herbert Ellern
Pyrotechnics 16 : 840
Kirk-Othmer
Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology
Second Edition 1968

The late Herbert Ellern is well know for his two books :—

Modern Pyrotechnics : Fundamentals of Applied Physical Pyrochemistry
Chemical Publishing 1961

Military and Civilian Pyrotechnics
Chemical Publishing 1968

quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 09:42

It may have been Koninski (sp??) who also pointed that out in a lecture series from PGI. Like Ellern he believed that many go through transition periods where they start quite wary & careful and after period of time familiarity either breeds more relaxed attitude or contempt. Where upon the lucky survive with minimal damage to maintain wariness and care or they get hurt. In professional settings the law and insurance demands such consistent constraints & double checking that less of that is observable. What's more, w/ professional settings there are supervisors, policies & procedures, as well as a level of professional materials that much of that attitude is contained.

How many times have I read some post about TATP being no big deal, it boggles my brain. Then the foundational statement that energetic peroxides, or this or that primary are "unstable" ensues; most likely because someone had a close call or worse. The term "unstable" is a misnomer when applied to a great deal of materials simply because they are demanding of conditions to not release their energy or degenerate. Too often it's static electricity that causes the incident & because it's unseen (just plain sneaky) the writer claims that material is unstable as a defined composition.
An analogy would be to claim that Argon or Helium are unstable because if you put them on a shelf they will dissipate. A gas demands separational containment obviously just as certain energetic compositions demand conditions of maintenance.

Just my opinion; but not enough people READ. They don't read the instructions when they bought a VCR, so the damn thing blinks 12:00 for it's lifetime. They don't read their committed religious tracts, so they become prey for anyone who claims to "know" what their God's Word is. They don't read chemistry books, so they don't understand molar weight, equations, & synthesis procedures {& thus rely on someone else who very easily can make a mistake}.
When sections of books are posted; that person [who posts them] is doing an enormous favor to the public - who has NOT read that material & if such an item has relevancy, the most productive thing would be to obtain the whole of the text, etc.

[Edited on 3-5-2010 by quicksilver]
SWilkin676
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2010 at 08:57

I don't think reading is enough in some cases - because belief must follow. I find it very educational to look at videos of chemistry in order to become cautious. Woolens site was great for increasing my respect of those little bottles of metals we have. If you have no experience of something, seeing is a much better way of absorbing information than reading. There is so much written that is not true.

There may be a biological cause for this as well, I read somewhere that true learning requires at least 2 different sensory inputs. (paraphrased)

Go To Top