Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: QUestion about product of reaction
akcapr
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-5-2010 at 14:34
QUestion about product of reaction

My chemistry professor proposed a question to me today, and I cant realyl figure it out. We were talkign about Nitration of aromatics, and he told me that if you take N,N-dimethyl aniline, and add conc. sulfuric acid, and then add a mix of HNO2 and H2so4 you will get one product- meta-nitro-N,N-dimethyl aniline.

First if find it wierd that it adds nitro, and about the spicific order of first adding just h2so4, then the mix to gain the mono nitrate product. I rationalize that it only adds once because the nitro group is e-withdrawing, but why does it add meta? N,N-dimethyl aniline is activiating, and should add to o and p positions, and help/thoughts? thanks

[Edited on 27-5-2010 by akcapr]
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 27-5-2010 at 15:01

The H2SO4 is likely there to make an electrophile (NO2+), and will be 'reformed' at the end.

The meta bit I'm not sure about, sorry. Perhaps it is to do with the stereochemistry of the N(CH3)2

Perhaps also, the addition of conc H2SO4 at the beginning alters the ring's para carbon by sulfonation.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-5-2010 at 15:47

The acid converts the amino group into the corresponding substituted ammonium salt, and NR4<sup>(1+)</sup> is deactivating and meta directing. You've got a + charge sitting out on the nitrogen, sucking at ring electrons.

It takes strongly acid conditions to insure that most to all the amine is in the salt form, adding H2SO4 first does so without any chance of the free amine reacting.

One page 10 of the PDFF here http://www.smccd.edu/accounts/lawrencey/232_Fall09/16_Study_... is a nice graph of substitutes rank by their activating/deactivating and meta/o-p direction; you'll see that +NR2 is about the same as NO2

akcapr
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-5-2010 at 15:53

thanks i didnt think of that but it makes perfect sense!

[Edited on 27-5-2010 by akcapr]
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 28-5-2010 at 14:12

Ok that makes more sense.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla

Go To Top