Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Does Glycerine make you cry ?
Kevinism
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

sad.gif posted on 5-7-2010 at 02:45
Does Glycerine make you cry ?

I heard Glycerine makes you cry and that what they do in the movies. IS this True?

I always thought Glycerine was merely applied on your face to induce a teary eyed look. Due to its Viscosity it slowly rolls down your cheeks.

Some sites say you apply it in the eyes. Does it's Hygroscopic property have anythign to do with inducing crying?

Could someone please help me out with this? And maybe provide some kind of a reference ?
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 02:59

Quote:
Due to its Viscosity it slowly rolls down your cheeks.

Spot on!

Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 06:02

It might have to do with the oilyness of it. It you have ever eaten a greasy pizza then touched your eyes you will notice that you can't stop crying all day. Your eyes are trying to get the oil out and its not successfull at all but with glycerine it would pull it out sooner or later.'

Its just a hunch but it seems like a good reason for its use in the movies since it would trigger the eyes to go into flush out mode

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Kevinism
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 20:32

Thanks Guys..

Sedit are you saying that actors place glycerine in their eyes to make them cry? Isn't that unhealthy? I mean it has to be sterile. Maybe you could find some reference
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 5-7-2010 at 22:07

No im not sayin anything really other then speculation an I stated that in my post.

I just know when an "oily" compound enters the eye it triggers the cry reflex to flush the contaminate out of the eye, Oil from say, chicken wings, or other things like pizza are a pain in the ass because it wll fuck up your vision all night because it don't dissolve in H2O causing you to tear all night long and awake with gunk in your eye where as glycerine on the hand being miscible with H2O would be expelled during the flush yet quite possibly still trigger the reflex to flush it out.

Im no expert at all im just giving explination on why they MAY use it in movies for special effects...

Pehaps hop on the mythbusters forum and ask them. They have plenty of special effect experiance.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Jimmymajesty
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-7-2010 at 08:09

Take glycerine and add it into a flask full of melted KHSO4 drop by drop, you will definitely tear your eyes out, on top of that your eyes will be similar to that of an albino rabbit.
a_bab
Hazard to Others

Mood: Angry !!!!!111111...2?!

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 11:11

Acrolein is a different matter, and there are more agents that are far more effective. Unless the movie requires red swollen eyes, I guess it's the first way of useing that is applied.

Go To Top