Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Peculiar smell remains in nose
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 27-10-2011 at 22:44

Now, afer almost one day, I still have that peculiar smell in my nose, but only if I inhale air through it. The effect also is stronger in cold air outside. Compared with yesterday the effect is weaker now.

@AndersHoveland: I also have a small quantity of PCl3 and this smells like PCl5 and POCl3. I think that you exaggerate the toxic properties of this chemical. It is toxic, but it is comparable to POCl3. Both are a nuisance to handle, due to the highly irritating fumes and the easy hydrolysis to HCl.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
White Yeti
National Hazard

Mood: delocalized

[*] posted on 5-11-2011 at 14:17

Interesting...

Are you sure it's a smell, rather than an irritation of some kind? I don't know about you guys, but habituation cases the olfactory nerves in the nose to become increasingly insensitive to compounds they are continuously exposed to, if that makes any sense.

The cause of the "spicy smell" is most likely the hydrochloric acid gently stimulating the pain nerves in the nose.

I can't say anything with 100% certainty because I've never handled phosphorus chlorides before.

You should edit wikipedia and mentioned the "spicy smell":)

Seriously though, I think wikipedia is lacking a lot of safety info. This is all they have for PCl5:
PCl5 is a dangerous substance as it reacts violently with water.

"Ja, Kalzium, das ist alles!" -Otto Loewi
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top