Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Made to order PTFE adapters
azulnaught
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 12-9-2014
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-2-2019 at 09:05
Made to order PTFE adapters


Any interest in polytetrafluoroethylene (ptfe/Teflon) adapters/parts?
I've had a difficult time finding adapters to join different size glassware in the past and when I do find what I'm looking for, I'm usually not satisfied with the price (for glass).

So in effort to remedy the situation (and to help pay for my last few semesters of college) I am currently offering any sizes below 29/42, although I will entertain any special requests for larger sizes.
Here is an example of a reducing adapter going from 29/42 to 24/40:

20jqt6b.png - 2MB

The seal is good although a little silicone grease is always encouraged, especially when in the presence of a strong vacuum.

I can also add SAE, metric, NPT, and BSPT threads upon request, recesses for gaskets, additional components, or whatever else you need. Don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers!



View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 184
Registered: 30-10-2017
Location: Ammonia Avenue
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2019 at 09:58


Let me ask first if you're serious about this --

The reason why I ask, is you're not the first person to post PTFE porn and solicit requests here, and then ultimately disappear or back out of the proposed project.

If you're willing to do this, I need to adapt 24/40 glass to NPT thread, and I need four adapters. But I need to be dealing with a serious person. I've done business with a few people here, and they all know *I'm* a serious person, ready to do business.


[Edited on 10-2-2019 by Mr. Rogers]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
azulnaught
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 12-9-2014
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2019 at 15:22


Serious enough to make a prototype in lieu of studying...

The dirty brass push fittings are all I have on hand in eighth inch. However, the dirt helped show the threads so maybe it wasn't a bad choice.

169gadd.png - 991kB

19xair.png - 902kB

o7pndh.png - 884kB

What size or sizes did you want in NPT? I'll try to add some wrench flats as well. The prototype was just to get the process down.

View user's profile View All Posts By User
DavidJR
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 907
Registered: 1-1-2018
Location: Scotland
Member Is Offline

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 10-2-2019 at 17:10


How about rotary seals.....
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 184
Registered: 30-10-2017
Location: Ammonia Avenue
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-2-2019 at 20:03


Quote: Originally posted by azulnaught  
Serious enough to make a prototype in lieu of studying...

The dirty brass push fittings are all I have on hand in eighth inch. However, the dirt helped show the threads so maybe it wasn't a bad choice.







What size or sizes did you want in NPT? I'll try to add some wrench flats as well. The prototype was just to get the process down.



Cool. Here's the deal. There's a bunch of people here that expressed interest in an adapter that will convert a paint can into a disposable flask. There's demand here for this, and if you can prototype something, you'll definitely have buyers --

The adapter would look like a female 24/40 joint at the top, and have threads just below this, to insert into a hole in a can lid and secure it with a nut from beneath the lid.

[Edited on 11-2-2019 by Mr. Rogers]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
j_sum1
Administrator
********




Posts: 5292
Registered: 4-10-2014
Location: Oz
Member Is Offline

Mood: Metastable, and that's good enough.

[*] posted on 10-2-2019 at 20:37


Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Rogers  

Cool. Here's the deal. There's a bunch of people here that expressed interest in an adapter that will convert a paint can into a disposable flask. There's demand here for this, and if you can prototype something, you'll definitely have buyers --

The adapter would look like a female 24/40 joint at the top, and have threads just below this, to insert into a hole in a can lid and secure it with a nut from beneath the lid.


Oooh Yes!
I want one!
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Heptylene
National Hazard
****




Posts: 313
Registered: 22-10-2016
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2019 at 03:18


Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Rogers  
Quote: Originally posted by azulnaught  
Serious enough to make a prototype in lieu of studying...

The dirty brass push fittings are all I have on hand in eighth inch. However, the dirt helped show the threads so maybe it wasn't a bad choice.







What size or sizes did you want in NPT? I'll try to add some wrench flats as well. The prototype was just to get the process down.



Cool. Here's the deal. There's a bunch of people here that expressed interest in an adapter that will convert a paint can into a disposable flask. There's demand here for this, and if you can prototype something, you'll definitely have buyers --

The adapter would look like a female 24/40 joint at the top, and have threads just below this, to insert into a hole in a can lid and secure it with a nut from beneath the lid.

[Edited on 11-2-2019 by Mr. Rogers]


I'd add that the thread should be a standard size so that we could connect pipe fittings to glassware too. Pipe fittings can make great high temperature retorts.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
wg48
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 821
Registered: 21-11-2015
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2019 at 06:28


azulnaught: I am interested in a 24/40 female to threaded adapter but it will depend on price. Can you give some indication of the price and were you are so i can estimate the postage. I am in the UK.



Borosilicate glass:
Good temperature resistance and good thermal shock resistance but finite.
For normal, standard service typically 200-230°C, for short-term (minutes) service max 400°C
Maximum thermal shock resistance is 160°C
View user's profile View All Posts By User
happyfooddance
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 521
Registered: 9-11-2017
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2019 at 16:35


Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Quote: Originally posted by Mr. Rogers  

Cool. Here's the deal. There's a bunch of people here that expressed interest in an adapter that will convert a paint can into a disposable flask. There's demand here for this, and if you can prototype something, you'll definitely have buyers --

The adapter would look like a female 24/40 joint at the top, and have threads just below this, to insert into a hole in a can lid and secure it with a nut from beneath the lid.


Oooh Yes!
I want one!


Lol. We all want one (even though I get by with teflon tape)!

azulnaught: check out this thread if you haven't already, and especially the post from markx at the bottom of the first page.

[Edited on 2-12-2019 by happyfooddance]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
azulnaught
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 12-9-2014
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 09:32


DavidJR:
What type? For a rotary evaporator, a motor, or rotary vane vacuum pump?

Heptylene:
'Standard' is a little ambiguous as it depends upon your geographical location which may differ from mine (U.S.). Did you have a specific size in mind or a picture of what you would like to connect?

wg48:
$30 plus shipping for 24/40 with internal threads. If you or anyone else wants multiple then the price will be less per unit. I see your location is set as Scotland - I'm unfamiliar with the pipe threading standards for each country but I'm assuming it is British Standard Pipe Thread Tapered (BSPT) for most countries outside the U.S. Not an issue, I just want to make sure that what I send will be compatible with your locally available materials.

For those interested in the paint can lid attachment:
I will gladly start working on this project although it will take a little time to complete as my only real free time to play is late nights and on weekends.





View user's profile View All Posts By User
happyfooddance
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 521
Registered: 9-11-2017
Location: Los Angeles, Ca.
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 09:40


My bad, I meant to link this thread in my previous post: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=100197
View user's profile View All Posts By User
DavidJR
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 907
Registered: 1-1-2018
Location: Scotland
Member Is Offline

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 09:47


I would also possibly be interested in a paint can to glassware adapter of some description.


Quote: Originally posted by azulnaught  
DavidJR:
What type? For a rotary evaporator, a motor, or rotary vane vacuum pump?


I mean for a rotary evaporator. I have DIY-ed a rotovap using an off-the-shelf PTFE stirrer bearing and fluoropolymer tubing, but it's not ideal.

See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGEMQTo0t2g

I think what I want would have a 24/29 cone and a smallish spherical ball joint thing, which would form the vacuum seal against a standard glass spherical socket. I'd 3d-print some sort of bracket to hold the glass tubing with the socket pressed against the ptfe ball joint.

Or maybe it'd be better to have both mating surfaces be PTFE to take advantage of the low coefficient of friction. I'm not sure what the best way to do this is.

[Edited on 13-2-2019 by DavidJR]

[Edited on 13-2-2019 by DavidJR]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
wg48temp9
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 557
Registered: 30-12-2018
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 13-2-2019 at 11:28


Quote: Originally posted by azulnaught  


wg48:
$30 plus shipping for 24/40 with internal threads. If you or anyone else wants multiple then the price will be less per unit. I see your location is set as Scotland - I'm unfamiliar with the pipe threading standards for each country but I'm assuming it is British Standard Pipe Thread Tapered (BSPT) for most countries outside the U.S. Not an issue, I just want to make sure that what I send will be compatible with your locally available materials.

For those interested in the paint can lid attachment:
I will gladly start working on this project although it will take a little time to complete as my only real free time to play is late nights and on weekends.


Azulnaught: Thanks for the reply. Sorry that price and shipping is too high for me but thanks for the offer.

[Edited on 13-2-2019 by wg48temp9]




i am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.

Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.

Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 184
Registered: 30-10-2017
Location: Ammonia Avenue
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-2-2019 at 09:48


What's the status on the adapters? I want four.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
azulnaught
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 12-9-2014
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2019 at 10:00


Mr. Rogers:
What size pipe (NPT) threading do you require for the adapters? 1/8" and 1/4" will work without any modification. It would need to be a little longer than what is pictured above for 1/2" female threads. Let me know so I can get these finished for you. All 24/40 joints correct?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
azulnaught
Harmless
*




Posts: 6
Registered: 12-9-2014
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-2-2019 at 10:13


DavidJR:
Your rotatory evaporator looks good. I can't tell from the video but what are the dimensions (or joint size) of the 3-way adapter you are using and of the straight glass tubing that is rotating? I'm thinking that two pieces, one on the receiving end of the 3-way adapter and one connected to the turning glass tubing would be the easiest way to solve the problem.

It seems to have a decent flow rate though, even with your current set up. Lithium grease is a decent lubricant for PLA parts which might help cut down on noise some if it's not already lubricated in some manner.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Loptr
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1298
Registered: 20-5-2014
Location: USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 23-2-2019 at 12:10


I would also be interested in a paint can adaptor.



"Question everything generally thought to be obvious." - Dieter Rams
View user's profile View All Posts By User
DavidJR
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 907
Registered: 1-1-2018
Location: Scotland
Member Is Offline

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 23-2-2019 at 13:55


Quote: Originally posted by azulnaught  
DavidJR:
Your rotatory evaporator looks good. I can't tell from the video but what are the dimensions (or joint size) of the 3-way adapter you are using and of the straight glass tubing that is rotating? I'm thinking that two pieces, one on the receiving end of the 3-way adapter and one connected to the turning glass tubing would be the easiest way to solve the problem.

It seems to have a decent flow rate though, even with your current set up. Lithium grease is a decent lubricant for PLA parts which might help cut down on noise some if it's not already lubricated in some manner.


All of the joints are 24/29.

For now, I have stopped using that weird 3 way adapter and replaced it with a different adapter, which is a straight tube with a cone and socket, and a hose barb on the side. A short piece of PVC tubing goes over the hose barb and over the fluoropolymer tubing.

The stirrer bearings have an O ring that gets compressed against the 7mm tubing. It has chewed up a couple of O-rings though, even though i tried putting a bit of grease on them. I think the issue is that the tubing is not actually PTFE and instead is some other polymer which has a significantly higher coefficient of friction. I actually just received some actual PTFE tubing to try, but unfortunately I can't because the spinning glass tube part cracked while in use...

View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 184
Registered: 30-10-2017
Location: Ammonia Avenue
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2019 at 10:08


Quote: Originally posted by azulnaught  
Mr. Rogers:
What size pipe (NPT) threading do you require for the adapters? 1/8" and 1/4" will work without any modification. It would need to be a little longer than what is pictured above for 1/2" female threads. Let me know so I can get these finished for you. All 24/40 joints correct?


I'm agnostic WRT to the NPT size, as long as the top portion is a standard joint size like 24/40 or 24/29. Other people want to adapt jointed glassware to pipe fittings. If you make the adapter like this, you can potentially satisfy the needs to of two audiences. I'm in the "paint can" category.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 184
Registered: 30-10-2017
Location: Ammonia Avenue
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2019 at 10:22


Here's my high-tech diagram I did in AutoCAD. The "nut" should be a standard metric 6-point size. It would probably end up at around 19mm given the 24mm size of the top portion.

Adapter.jpg - 104kB

[Edited on 26-2-2019 by Mr. Rogers]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
draculic acid69
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 992
Registered: 2-8-2018
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 26-2-2019 at 22:32


If you could fabricate a fitting/stopcock that turns a coke bottle into a separatory funnel that would be something I've been dreaming about for 20 years.ive come close to this by drilling a hole thru the lid and screwing in a 4mm inline tap valve.it works great except chloroform dissolves the plastic tap.xylene ethyl acetate and toluene were fine but chloroform is a no-go.an all teflon piece would be the holy grail of turning a coke bottle into a separate funnel.
Also another bottle idea is to have a dreschel attachment made that would turn any glass lemonade bottle into a gas wash/scrubber bottle.

If either of these are possible I'll definitely buy some.

[Edited on 27-2-2019 by draculic acid69]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
andy1988
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 121
Registered: 11-2-2018
Location: NW Americus ([i]in re[/i] Amerigo Vespucci)
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-2-2019 at 22:36


azulnaught: In the distant future I'm interested in some custom FEP, PTFE, & PEEK parts for a contraption in a paper, but I need to work through some other stuff first. I hope you are enjoying your courses!

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  

For now, I have stopped using that weird 3 way adapter and replaced it with a different adapter, which is a straight tube with a cone and socket, and a hose barb on the side. A short piece of PVC tubing goes over the hose barb and over the fluoropolymer tubing.

The stirrer bearings have an O ring that gets compressed against the 7mm tubing. It has chewed up a couple of O-rings though, even though i tried putting a bit of grease on them. I think the issue is that the tubing is not actually PTFE and instead is some other polymer which has a significantly higher coefficient of friction. I actually just received some actual PTFE tubing to try, but unfortunately I can't because the spinning glass tube part cracked while in use...


DavidJR did you see this rotovap design? Uses a PTFE Standard Stopper, but the threads filed down and a channel dug for the o-ring. And a high torque motor to "overcome the friction the vacuum puts on the rotary joint". What do you think of it?

[Edited on 27-2-2019 by andy1988]




View user's profile View All Posts By User
draculic acid69
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 992
Registered: 2-8-2018
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 27-2-2019 at 01:12


Azalnaught could you replicate this in teflon?

images.jpeg - 11kB



It is a 4mm inline tap valve for aquarium /garden irrigation.
it does not need to be as small but under 1cm wide for the threads.
Can this be done?

[Edited on 27-2-2019 by draculic acid69]

[Edited on 27-2-2019 by draculic acid69]
View user's profile View All Posts By User
DavidJR
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 907
Registered: 1-1-2018
Location: Scotland
Member Is Offline

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 27-2-2019 at 03:39


Quote: Originally posted by andy1988  

DavidJR did you see this rotovap design? Uses a PTFE Standard Stopper, but the threads filed down and a channel dug for the o-ring. And a high torque motor to "overcome the friction the vacuum puts on the rotary joint". What do you think of it?


Yes, I have seen that. I'm concerned about gluing a tube into PTFE as PTFE is nearly ungluable. I also thought that maybe an unmodified stirrer bearing could work given that it's designed to seal onto a PTFE shaft - you just need a PTFE tube instead. Like i said, I've got some real PTFE tubing to replace the not-PTFE tubing which should hopefully work better. But i'm waiting on a replacement glass tube thing since it broke.

The motor i'm using is capable of a fairly decent torque.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Mr. Rogers
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 184
Registered: 30-10-2017
Location: Ammonia Avenue
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2019 at 00:15


Still want this, and I like the Sep funnel adapter idea too.

Someone do this -- there's a ready-made audience here.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
 Pages:  1    3

  Go To Top