Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Opening lithium batteries with copper tube cutters
peach
Bon Vivant

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 08:01

Quote:
I guess you have to have some sort of scapegoat to keep the people distracted from the real despots.

Thems there be fightin' words, and dangerous ones at that too! ;)

Quote: Originally posted by zed  
What are you talking about? The abbreviation gr. means GRAINS, not GRAMS.

They are not even remotely similar!

So what is it? Grains or Grams?

A Gram of Lithium is a small amount. A Grain is a tiny amount.

Gram= 1000mg. Grain= ~65mg.

Clarify.

I think he's talking about 1,000,000 ug

I'm sure you'll pick up on the joke hidden in there towards the end. :D

cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-9-2010 at 08:48

I just pulled the lithium out of all 9 batteries I had left so thats 9 cathodes left over. There doesn't seem to be much iron disulfide on each aluminium strip, is there any point in storing this stuff? I like to collect every chemical I come across so I don't really wanna dump it. Rotten eggs wasn't the only smell I got opening up these batteries. The first smell I got was a liquoricy smell that reminded me of cold engine starting fluid with diethyl ether in it. I used pure ether in the lab but I can't remember what it smelled like. In this case I wonder what that liquoricy smell is.

Also I noticed all the lithium I dunk in white spirit eventually turns black. I thought the hydrocarbons would keep it from tarnishing. At one point I think a bit of iron disulfide fell off my glove into the lithium jar and started bubbling heavily. Luckily it didn't last long so it didn't generate much heat.

EDIT: I just tested the Li out and poured some water on a tiny piece of metal. It bubbled like mad and was gone in seconds but it didn't burst into flames like I was expecting. Probably would have if I had a greater lithium to water ratio though.

[Edited on 15-9-2010 by cnidocyte]
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 15-9-2010 at 11:03

There isn't much disulphide no, there doesn't need to be. Neither does it need to be soggy with the ion transfer solvent for it to pass very large currents.

I wouldn't bother with the disulphide, there's barely any there and you can easily buy or make a lot of it. Plus, it smells.

If it's tarnishing in the oil and the top is on, the oil is damp or full of dissolved oxygen. You could try putting the oil under vacuum first to remove any dissolved gases. And drying the oil before putting the bulk of the lithium in by using a little strip of it.

It's a lot of effort to keep the stuff shiny and it's not really necessary for a lot of what it's going to be put to use in; e.g. setting it on fire or drying things.

You may have more luck filling the bottle with some of the shielding gas from a welding set as opposed to using oil.

[Edited on 15-9-2010 by peach]

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 6-9-2014 at 11:14

I just disassembled a Li battery using a hacksaw; that does not short out the battery, either. If the battery does short, the best thing to do is to keep cutting the top off.

[Edited on 7.9.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 12:36

I've discovered something really interesting. The Energizer Advanced Lithium batteries appear to have the same or nearly the same amount of lithium as the Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries! This is also independent of size of the battery - AA and AAA batteries seem to have a similar amount of lithium as well. I haven't been able, however, to determine the thickness of the foil, which seems like the most likely variable.

So it may be more cost-effective to buy the Advanced batteries...

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 12:55

Quote: Originally posted by peach  
The lithium is separated from the cathode by a layer of plastic between the two, which the ions can move through but the components can not

An ion-permeable membrane !?!

Sounds like that could come in handy.

Are such permeable membranes specific to the ions they allow, e.g. Size ?

[Edited on 9-9-2014 by aga]

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 12:57

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
I just disassembled a Li battery using a hacksaw

I can see in the near future a pack of batteries, a vice and an Angle Grinder.

FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-9-2014 at 13:39

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Quote: Originally posted by peach  
The lithium is separated from the cathode by a layer of plastic between the two, which the ions can move through but the components can not

An ion-permeable membrane !?!

Sounds like that could come in handy.

Are such permeable membranes specific to the ions they allow, e.g. Size ?

[Edited on 9-9-2014 by aga]

That is pointless to extract those from membranes. You can purchase ion permeable membranes very cheaply online specifically for purposes of electrochemistry. They have many different kinds.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 11:01

Wow !

I never though to even look on ebay.

Thanks.

[Edited on 10-9-2014 by aga]

Blinded
Harmless

Mood: curious

[*] posted on 10-9-2014 at 22:19
Hydrocarbons

Quote: Originally posted by cnidocyte  

Also I noticed all the lithium I dunk in white spirit eventually turns black. I thought the hydrocarbons would keep it from tarnishing. At one point I think a bit of iron disulfide fell off my glove into the lithium jar and started bubbling heavily. Luckily it didn't last long so it didn't generate much heat.

EDIT: I just tested the Li out and poured some water on a tiny piece of metal. It bubbled like mad and was gone in seconds but it didn't burst into flames like I was expecting. Probably would have if I had a greater lithium to water ratio though.

Make sure to use an inert hydrocarbon solvent for the storage of Lithium! Like toluene, pentane/hexane/heptane...etc Using the wrong solvent (especially halogenated and protic solvents) can and will lead to fires.
Stay safe.

[Edited on 11-9-2014 by Blinded]
zirconiumiodide
Harmless

smile.gif posted on 14-9-2014 at 14:29

Quote: Originally posted by cnidocyte  

When i first removed lithium from an energiser battery i was eager to test it immediately. I cut of some lithium (a nice chunk) and chucked it into a pyrex jug full of water. There was an immediate reaction - which looked more like that of Potassium, with the metal bursting into flames almost immediately. However when i tested the metal after storing in mineral oil it reacted more slowly.

ZrI4 :)
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top