Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How to make Nitric Acid in Liquid Phase.
NNO2
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2019 at 21:09
How to make Nitric Acid in Liquid Phase.

Hello everyone.
I am trying to produce nitric acid in bulk at home.
Currently, various methods are examined and verified.
Although the method of making nitric oxide from the air using arc discharge is simple, the concentration obtained is low and it is precise to obtain a small amount using a large amount of electricity.
The Ostwald method found a method to use cobalt oxide for the catalyst inexpensively, but I could not find the expertise to deal with corrosive gases at large high temperatures.
If I had a fitting called Swagelock and a pipe made of nickel alloy, I could do experiments but I could not get both of them.

I analyzed that the problem is where we handle gas in large quantities.
Then we investigated whether ammonia and urea can be oxidized to nitric acid by electrolytic oxidation or photocatalytic oxidation in the liquid phase.
As a result, although oxidation was carried out for deodorizing purposes, we could not find an example reacting to nitric acid.

Nitrate bacteria are weak and require a very large culture tank
The concentration process also becomes difficult.

Does anyone have knowledge on such liquid phase oxidation?

I am using Google translation
I think that there are some inappropriate sentences but if you point out
It improves.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 21-2-2019 at 21:27

The method you describe is the Birkeland-Eyde process.
It is slow, energy inefficient and low-yielding. But it does work. You would then need to concentrate your acid.

The Ostwald process looks attractive but it has numerous disadvantages. You need high temperature. You need high pressure. The initial yield is low and so you need to separate your product stream and feed the incompletely oxidised component back through your system. You need a column to absorb your gas into water. And, most critically, you need a suitable catalyst. Industrially, Pt95-Rh5 is used. This is pricey.

There has been significant progress in brining the O process within reach of amateurs. Search here for a thread started bt Chemetix.

Most amateurs begin with a nitrate salt and distil off 68% HNO3 using sulfuric acid. You can also produce fuming nitric acid at close to 100%, but there is usually little point.
NNO2
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2019 at 23:05

j_sum 1
Thank you for your reply.
Birkeland-Eyde process is industrially recognized as an efficiency of 60 g / kWh.
We expect to be about 10 g / kWh when it is downsized at the individual level and implemented.
For me, I believe that poor yields are managed by the length of working time.
One problem here is that the nitric oxide concentration is only about 1 vol%.
Absorption into water will be large because it is slow.
I thought about preparing a refrigerator and recovering it as liquid N 2 O 4
A good refrigerator was hard to find.

Indeed I found a forum that seems to be very helpful.
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=71...
I will try it as a reference.
Alkoholvergiftung
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-2-2019 at 04:03

I think an interesting Methode would be ammoniaoxidation on Sodiummanganate. It yields directly nitric Acid. Only disadvantage 60% from the ammonia reacts to Nitric Acid Little bit to HNO2 and traces of NO2.
The catalyst is prepared by giving MnO2 in 50% sodiumhydroxid solution with an Little bit of CaOH and boil it to dryness.

Go To Top