Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: AA questions "Closed System"
wilkaaro
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 14:36
AA questions "Closed System"

Does anybody know a closed system AA? Currently I'm working with an open system, the problem is with evaporation I can only load 10-15 samples at a time. With hundreds of samples to run, I end up staying up all night babysitting an instrument. I know this site is designed for the at home enthusiast but I really would appreciate a response.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 14:59

Why can't you keep your samples stoppered until it's time to run them? Are they in some sort of auto-sampler? If so would cooling the room to say 60F retard the evaporation sufficiently? Could you transfer to a less volatile system? When I was doing work with AA most of my samples were acidic aqueous solutions. Is your machine heating the sample trays? Is it a new enough machine you could call a rep in to address this? Give us some more information and maybe we can help.

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
wilkaaro
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 15:41

Right now I do have them stoppered until I run them, I was wondering if there was a way around this. I'm testing silver loads on nitric digested rubber septa. I can't really cool the room just because our lab is set up in a warehouse set up, there are dividers between the different labs. Its a shimatzu AA, it doesn't heat the samples, it takes about 7 minutes per sample and I usually have to get through 300 samples during my week. It would be great to set up 60 or so samples before I leave for the night.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 16:26

I am not by any means an expert on AA (atoms hadn't been invented when I took chemistry) but in this general situation I would consider using a thin layer of mineral oil to cover the aqueous solution. Mineral oil is mostly alkanes and a smaller proportion of cycloalkanes, reasonable inert to cold HNO3 and not likely to contain much metals although obviously blanks would need to be run.

wilkaaro
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-10-2010 at 06:45

Only problem with the oil is I'm using a graphite furnace I'd be afraid that the oil would screw that up.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-10-2010 at 08:39

Can't say anything about that, but you'd need only a thin layer. How do the samples get stuffed into the furnace?

Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 7-10-2010 at 15:05

There is a sampling robot that pulls up a few uL and deposits it, through a tiny hole into the graphite tube onto a platform inside. Then, the heating cycle begins 1)dry 2)ash 3)atomize.

It's under argon so it survives being brought to white heat in seconds. The power supply pulls so much juice it humms and rattles when the atomizing ramp begins.

We put standards in every few samples. These evaporate at the same rate. Our quantitation remains stable overight.

Cheers,

O3

graphite furnace_smaller.jpg - 48kB

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
wilkaaro
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 09:07

Alright I'm going to try that tonight, thank you
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2010 at 11:16

t`would seem that if the sampler dives deep enough it would go below the oil film with only the amount trapped by the sampling tube being included. Should be a very small amount, and then surrounded by the nitrate solution which would oxidise it pretty quickly in that environment.

Go To Top