Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pathway to acheived 4-methoxy-phenylvalerophenone from 1-methoxybenzene
Ze_alpha
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-10-2010 at 17:01
Pathway to acheived 4-methoxy-phenylvalerophenone from 1-methoxybenzene

Hi, Everybody
First of all this forum is really nice and keep on going you are really doing a great job.
I would like to ask you a question guys about a reaction. In one of my synthesis I want the chemical 4-methoxy-phenylvalerophenone .I'm a little bit confused regarding the pathway to achieved my goal. My starting chemical is the 1-methoxybenzene.
The more logical pathway for me will be to do an electrophilic substitution on the aromatic ring with an excess of valeroic anhydride to yield directly to the desired compound. I'm wondering if by extending the alkyl chain of the acid anhydride with more carbon there will be a lost in reactivity. Is this can be predictable? The only ref I found is with propionic anhydride on wiki
My second logical pathway will be to brominate the 1-methoxybenzene with NBS, reacting the 4-methoxybromobenzene in the art to make the corresponding Grignard and reacts it with pentanitrile to achieved the desired chemical. Here again I’m not able to find substainable pathway of reaction regarding grinard on nitrile. Is it because the nitrile are not a good substrate for Grignard reaction in ethereal medium?

I know the diagram is wierd and sketchy, none exact but it's just to visualise all the thing

Thank you for your help !

rxn.bmp - 24kB
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 15-10-2010 at 18:52

Well, I goofed pretty badly with that first attempt at a reply, so let me try this again!

Bromination with NBS should be fine. According to wiki*, using DMF as a solvent gives high para-selectivity. The rest of the scheme looks good as well.

I think doing the Friedel-Crafts acylation with Valeroic anhydride would be the better of the two routes though. Fewer steps = less product loss. However, the disadvantage of this route is that you do not get the para-selectivity, so your yield may only be ~33%. The longer alkyl chain should not have an effect on the acylation.

*the article cited is Mitchell, R. H.; Lai, Y.H.; Williams, R. V. (1979). "N-Bromosuccinimide-dimethylformamide: a mild, selective nuclear monobromination reagent for reactive aromatic compounds". J. Org. Chem. 44: 4733. The wiki page I'm referring to is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Bromosuccinimide#Bromination_...

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.

Go To Top