Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking For Thorpe's 3rd Edition
Perdurabo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 10:59
Looking For Thorpe's 3rd Edition

Hi Folks,

I hoping somebody can help with obtaining scans of a few pages of Thorpe's Dictionary of Applied Chemistry, volume 2, 3rd edition. The pages are 178-182, and it has to be the third edition. I've been able to get earlier editions (from 1912 and 1918), but the patent we're following specifies the third edition, which was published sometime between 1918 and 1949. I believe that there will be no additional information in the third edition than what is in the earlier editions, but my coworker wants me to find out for sure so here I am.
We're interested in preparing chloral/chloral hydrate for use as an intermediate.
If anyone has Thorpe's 4th (or later) edition, vol. 2, I would appreciate scans of the relevant entries from there, also. That way, if I can show that the entry for the 4th edition is the same as the 1st or 2nd edition, then getting the 3rd edition won't be important.
Thanks for any help.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 22:31

As far as I know the 4th edition is the last edition of Thorpe's. I have it, but alas not the third. By the 4th, the information on chloral appears diminished to little more than 1 page. Here is a scan.

[Edited on 11-6-2010 by Polverone]

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 03:47

From a US IP, using the advanced search at google books with A Dictionary of Applied chemistry in the title field or Thomas Edward Thorpe in the author field, gives a different volume with a "more editions" link, where the volume is on the second page of results. Add &pg=PA178 to the google id and you have a short URL for good linkage at forums, which yeah I could have posted.

The same search at Gallica gave their version of that volume as the very first result.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
Perdurabo
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 07:19

My thanks to both of you - that was a very big help

Go To Top