Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: buying used glassware
bob800
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 13:22
buying used glassware

I was looking on ebay for a distillation kit, and found this one for only $82. The seller has 100% feedback, and the glass is Corning/Kimble.

The only drawback is that the glass is used. What are your opinions about buying used glassware? Would you put in under vacuum, only use it for low temps., or never use it?

Apparently, the used glassware it put through an annealing oven to burn off organics. Do you think that a normal cleaning would dissolve anything else that would be a problem?

Any advice\opinions would be greatly appreciated.
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 16:19

With free shipping; it's a fair price for a full used student 19/22 set. If I didn't already have 19/22 sets maybe I'd buy one myself, if "Pyrex glass" means used glassware that was blown by Corning. If it means borosilicate glass supplied by them but blown by him, and used, well I don't know but I haven't heard anything bad about his glass here without U'ingTFSE. But then some people here rave about "really thick!" Chinese glassware (do not trust heated thick glassware with dangerous chemicals).

Great to get used glassware that's been annealed in any case.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
bob800
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 17:09

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  
if "Pyrex glass" means used glassware that was blown by Corning.

I had the same question, and he replied, "The glassware is made with Corning or kimble brand Boro glass". Does this mean that it was blown by Corning/Kimble, or that he blew it but used raw material from Corning?

Quote: Originally posted by S.C. Wack  

But then some people here rave about "really thick!" Chinese glassware (do not trust heated thick glassware with dangerous chemicals).

What's wrong with thick glassware, I thought thicker glassware was less likely to break? Does this apply for heavy-walled flasks as well?
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 19:11

The thicker it is the less stable it is to thermal stress. Personally I wouldn't buy anything from anyone trying to disguise the manufacturer.

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
psychokinetic
National Hazard

Mood: Constantly missing equilibrium

[*] posted on 8-11-2010 at 19:49

There's a sweet spot - too thin and it'll fall apart, too thick and it will crack.

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
spirocycle
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-11-2010 at 09:10

can you put a number on that sweet spot?
psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2010 at 11:58

(No. I wouldn't have a clue what units to use :P)

“If Edison had a needle to find in a haystack, he would proceed at once with the diligence of the bee to examine straw after straw until he found the object of his search.
I was a sorry witness of such doings, knowing that a little theory and calculation would have saved him ninety per cent of his labor.”
-Tesla
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

[*] posted on 9-11-2010 at 14:19

Quote: Originally posted by spirocycle  
can you put a number on that sweet spot?

Name.
Ace, Corning, Kimble, Wheaton, etc.

spirocycle
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-11-2010 at 19:20

i was thinking in mm thickness
psychokinetic
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 00:16

You need to take quality into account, really. Thin well made glass could be better than thicker crappily made glass, for instance.

-Tesla
bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 10-11-2010 at 15:39

Best ground taper glass I've been using is Kontes, with Chemglass just as good. Ace also is great, but do not like the design on some of their pieces..:P

For other glass, like filtering flasks, E-flasks vol. flasks etc. Kimble/Kimax/Pyrex, Schott Duran, Assistent are great brands. Never used the cheap stuff.., rather not buy something than looking like two-face from a exploding/imploding RB flask, or even worse, die from exposure to the content....

Love the Kontes Bantam-Ware series...:D

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Go To Top