Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chlorination of 8-HydroxyQuinoline
Quinoline
Harmless

Mood: Electrophilic

[*] posted on 24-11-2010 at 18:40
Chlorination of 8-HydroxyQuinoline

By Chlorinating 8-hydroxyquinoline using Sodiumhypochlorite and HCl, can we obtain 70% of dichloro and 30% of monochloro molecule with atleast 80% purity
Bolt
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 24-11-2010 at 23:06

want a cookie?
DDTea
National Hazard

Mood: Degenerate

[*] posted on 24-11-2010 at 23:20

You really need to be much more precise in your description of what you're trying to do. Where on this molecule are you trying to put the chlorines, first of all? Secondly, why do you think that sodium hypochlorite/HCl would be good chlorinating agents? As far as the purity of your product goes, that will depend mostly on your technique. It will also depend on specific experimental conditions, reagent purity, and what equipment you have available to you. In the land of hypotheticals, though, SURE! :P

Kind of a cool molecule, actually.

"In the end the proud scientist or philosopher who cannot be bothered to make his thought accessible has no choice but to retire to the heights in which dwell the Great Misunderstood and the Great Ignored, there to rail in Olympic superiority at the folly of mankind." - Reginald Kapp.
Quinoline
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2010 at 17:59

I have got all the equipments to carry on the reaction. I have dissolved 8-HQ in Conc. HCl (temp was- 36 deg centigrade) then added NaOCl slowly to the reaction mass which was under stirring(molar equivalents used were 1 : 4.4 : 1.7). I have got 50% mono chloro (5-chloro-8HQ) and 35% dichloro(5,7-dichloro-8HQ).But the purity of material was only 45%. Analysis was done by HPLC. Hw to improve the puriity.
Quinoline
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-11-2010 at 17:59

I have got all the equipments to carry on the reaction. I have dissolved 8-HQ in Conc. HCl (temp was- 36 deg centigrade) then added NaOCl slowly to the reaction mass which was under stirring(molar equivalents used were 1 : 4.4 : 1.7). I have got 50% mono chloro (5-chloro-8HQ) and 35% dichloro(5,7-dichloro-8HQ).But the purity of material was only 45%. Analysis was done by HPLC. Hw to improve the puriity.
smuv
National Hazard

Mood: Jingoistic

[*] posted on 26-11-2010 at 12:48

...don't use an excess of NaOCl. Perform the addition on an ice bath...

"Titanium tetrachloride…You sly temptress." --Walter Bishop

Go To Top