Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pentene hydrobromination
wild_rabbit
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-5-2019 at 03:41
Pentene hydrobromination

I'm new to organic chemistry and did one of my first organic synthesis and my results were not really as expected. My target product was 2-bromopentane. The route i took was reacting 1-pentene with azeotropic HBr. The mixture was refluxed for 2 hours and left to stand over night. Next day I decided to do fractional distillation and the result was unexpected. First thing that came over was probably unreacted 1-pentene (b.p. 30°C), then the second fraction came at 86-90°C which had a strong burned smell, with aroma similar to aromatic sandalwood or something like it. Once this fraction stopped coming over, what was left in reaction flask was HBr. Expected products were 1-bromopentane (b.p. 130°C) and 2-bromopentane (b.p. 117°C) as a major product. I'm a little confused about where I went wrong. I'm not sure what the second fraction is. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

[Edited on 7-5-2019 by wild_rabbit]

[Edited on 7-5-2019 by wild_rabbit]
wild_rabbit
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-7-2019 at 09:32

Sorry to bother again, I'll try getting some input once more.
I still dont have the answer to my original question. Has anyone had success hydrobrominating alkenes?
Boffis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-7-2019 at 11:44

Is it possible that the HBr has simply polymerised the pentene and the Bp c90 C is the dimer? Was there much higher boiling material left in the flask? I have always had problems getting anything other than HI to add across simple double bonds.

Go To Top