Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pH of non polar solvent
cnidocyte
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 11:39
pH of non polar solvent

Would I be right in assuming that H+ protons cannot be solvanted truly non polar solvents and therefore pH does not apply to them? What about solvents like acetone. I don't really know much about acetone but I know its miscible with water as well as plenty of organics so I assume it will solvate protons but not to the same degree that water does so how does the concept of pH apply to this solvent? I only really learned about pH of aqueous solutions so I don't know how it applies to solvents other than water.

Also is there such thing as a truly non polar solvent? The least polar solvents I'm familiar with are hydrocarbon distillates but even low molecular weight liquid hydrocarbons like hexane exhibit Van der Waals forces so I assume they will still solvate H+ protons to a certain degree.

[Edited on 6-1-2011 by cnidocyte]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 13:50

Firstly, pH is a clear concept: the negative logarithm of the concentration of H3O+ ions in an aqueous solution:

pH = - log [H3O+]

Only in water can H3O+ ions exist and a pH be measured or calculated. Outside of water, pH is not meaningful.

Also you need to distinguish between protonation and solvation: water self-protonates: H2O(l) + H2O(l) < === > H3O+(aq) + OH-(aq). But the H3O+ and OH- ions, because of their charge, solvate, i.e. surround themselves with a cloud of water molecules attracted to them because water molecules are polarised and polarisable.

But several other solvents are self-protonable: glacial acetic acid for instance:

2 CH3COOH(l)< === > CH3COOH2+(sol) + CH3COO-(sol)

Conductivity of the substance would be a good indicator of ion concentrations and thus degree of dissociation.

And because acetic acid is a polar solvent, solvation of these species occurs.

A strictly non-polar solvent cannot be protonated as far as I know. But a protonatable substance (say B) dissolved in a non-polar solvent with some strong acid (say HA) dissolved in it too, would be protonated by the strong acid: B(sol) + HA(sol) < === > BH+(sol) + A-(sol). But solvation of the formed ions would be extremely weak, because of the very weak polarity of the non-polar solvent…

[Edited on 6-1-2011 by blogfast25]
turd
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 14:07

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Firstly, pH is a clear concept: the negative logarithm of the concentration of H3O+ ions in an aqueous solution:

[smartass]
the negative decimal logarithm of the H+/H3O+ activity. The activity being identical to the numerical value of the concentration expressed in mol/l only in dilute solutions.
[/smartass]
Yeah, I know that you know this and that it's mostly irrelevant in practice. Just pointing out that things are often a little bit more complicated than they seem at first.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 14:12

Yes, activity:

pH = - log aH3O+

Sigh... ;-)
kmno4
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 16:23

The concept of pH (....) in terms of its (notional) definition
pH = -lg a<sub>H</sub>
involving as it does a single ion activity, it is immeasurable.
http://www.iupac.org/publications/pac/1985/pdf/5703x0531.pdf

Quote:

Yeah, I know that you know this and that it's mostly irrelevant in practice. Just pointing out that things are often a little bit more complicated than they seem at first.

:P
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 10:20

I think this point about it being ‘immeasurable’ is seriously spurious: the paper then goes on to explain in great detail how pH is… measured! It’s a relative measurement, so what??

Go To Top