Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How do I ionize (oxidize) Platinum metal. What to do to desposit Platinum on Copper metal ?
milovess
Permanently banned

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 02:31
How do I ionize (oxidize) Platinum metal. What to do to desposit Platinum on Copper metal ?

Hello Guys! I'm willing to use either polar protic (H2O) or polar aprotic solvent (CH3(CO)CH3) or (CH3OCH2CH3)for the Platinum salt if I become able to create it. Does these work for PtCLx or PtNO3x, PtSO4x ? I wonder if you know another salts for these solvents if they are able to disslove of course, please help :)
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 07:43

i think you could use chloroplatinic acid (platinum dissolved in acquaregia), and a platinum anode.
i don't know if you could use an aprotic solvent, or at least i never seen it used for plating.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
milovess
Permanently banned

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 10:49
Ubya

I don't have Platinum in a shape possible of being used as anode. The Platinum piece I got is attached somehow to Bronze. Even if I cut the piece somehow and separate it mehanicaly, then melt and reshape it, I won't have then Platinum to dissolve in your proposed aqua regia as my quantity is very small. Is it possible to use Carbon anode, ChloroPlatinic Acid, and Copper cathode ? Won't the Carbon fool the Platinum that some metal did displaced it and if it does, won't it cause the aqua regia to turn more and more acidic and eventualy attack my Copper and ionize it or the Copper will be coated in time with Platinum before the aqua regia starts to ionize it ?
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 11:58

Quote: Originally posted by milovess  
Is it possible to use Carbon anode, ChloroPlatinic Acid, and Copper cathode ?

i honestly don't know, maybe yes, but the platinum solution will be depleted
Quote: Originally posted by milovess  
won't it cause the aqua regia to turn more and more acidic and eventualy attack my Copper and ionize it or the Copper will be coated in time with Platinum before the aqua regia starts to ionize it ?

you should dissolve some platinum in aqua regia (nitric acid and hydrochloric acid 1:3) and evaporate the excess acid of course. the electrolysis should produce HCl, and maybe some chlorine and hydrogen at the electrodes if the voltage is not set right. copper won't be dissolved by HCl, especially at the cathode (reduction not oxidation)

[Edited on 11-8-2019 by Ubya]

feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
milovess
Permanently banned

[*] posted on 11-8-2019 at 13:01
Ubya

Thank you so much Bruh :P I'll try it this month and notify you how it goes. I'm stuned how after many hours you're the only person that gave some knowlege on it, anyway, have a nice day Sir :P

Go To Top