Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: CaCl2 + H2SO4
bbartlog
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2012 at 17:49

Quote:
Upon heating with dry CaCl2 and condensing the vapors should yield pure concentrated HCl.

I suspect that this would not run to completion unless you milled the two powders together to achieve a very intimate mixture; otherwise, the calcium oxalate would tend to encase the CaCl2 as the reaction proceeded. Also, I hope you realize that the HCl generated would be fairly dry HCl gas, i.e. 'condensing the vapors' would require cryogenic temperatures.

The less you bet, the more you lose when you win.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-3-2012 at 04:49

Thanks bbartlog:

I agree with your reservations on the attempt to mix the dry salts.

Actually, it may even be worst. An MSDS reports the reaction of Oxalic acid with strong oxidizers as explosive. Given the powerful and violent reaction of anhydrous CaCl2 with water, a similar fate may befall anyone heating the mixed dry salts in an enclosed vessel.

If still possible, I will appropriately add a cautionary note to my dry suggested synthesis.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 29-3-2012 at 05:59

Quote: Originally posted by soma  
Came across this after doing a search on google. If anyone has access to the Journal of Chemical Education (A Convenient Way to Generate Hydrogen Chloride in the Freshman Lab, Francisco J. Arnáiz, Journal of Chemical Education, 1995, 72 (16), 1139.) I'd appreciate a copy of the article.

http://curlyarrow.blogspot.com/2009/03/how-to-make-dry-hcl-g...

How to make dry HCl gas

This paper has been posted multiple times on the forum, most recently in a thread about generation of dry HCl here. Magpie tested the method, as shown in the same thread.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top