Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trying to prepare sort of Aqua regia, but wonder if I will be fast enough before it decomposes
milovess
Permanently banned

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 01:16
Trying to prepare sort of Aqua regia, but wonder if I will be fast enough before it decomposes

How fast Aqua regia decomposes ? Whether I have enough time to plug 2 moles CLNO2 in solution that contains 1mole HCL and thus create 3HCL+2HNO3 ? I will add that I dont want to prepare aqua regia the ordinary way by mixing acid and I'm aware that it should be 3HCL+HNO3 and not 3HCL+2HNO3, but I wonder if this will be still able to ionize Au ?

[Edited on 20-12-2019 by milovess]
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 01:48

Language is a beautiful thing... Communication an ever more beautiful thing.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 03:31

I can not follow this (not through lack of trying though). Could you please edit with some explanatory text?
garphield
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 09:12

Wait so if I’m getting this right you want to prepare aqua regia by bubbling nitryl chloride thru hydrochloric acid? I don’t have enough chem experience to say if this would work or not, but nitryl chloride is pretty exotic, and the only paper I could find on it said it was prepared by reacting nitrosyl chloride with ozone. Neither of those are easy to get and they’re both very reactive and toxic gases, and nitrosyl chloride is often made by decomposing aqua regia, so I really can’t figure out how you could have nitryl chloride but not nitric acid
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 10:53

From what I can tell, you want to generate nitryl chloride by reacting chlorine with nitrogen dioxide, and adding this to concentrated HCl to make a form of aqua regia. You've got HCl, and will make NO2 by reacting copper with a mixture of hydrochloric acid and ammonium nitrate.

The mixture of ammonium nitrate and hydrochloric acid won't react with gold as it is?

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 14:54

So instead of making aqua regia the traditional way, you want to make it from nitryl chloride? Why would you do that? It would be so much easier to just use the traditional 1mol HNO3 to 3mol HCl mixture. If you can make nitryl chloride (and safely at that) then why not just make nitric acid?

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 15:23

Can one not just simply drop a nitrate salt into conc. HCl?
I dissolved palladium this way without any issue.
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 16:02

Quote: Originally posted by Abromination  
If you can make nitryl chloride (and safely at that) then why not just make nitric acid?

I'm assuming that he doesn't have nitric acid, only ammonium nitrate. it should still work, if not quite as well.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 20-12-2019 at 16:50

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Quote: Originally posted by Abromination  
If you can make nitryl chloride (and safely at that) then why not just make nitric acid?

I'm assuming that he doesn't have nitric acid, only ammonium nitrate. it should still work, if not quite as well.

Assuming he is using it to dissolve gold or another unreactive transition metal, yes but I imagine it taking an awful long time.
I can see it as an alternative, though. I know first hand how hard it can be to get simple reagents.

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-12-2019 at 09:36

Go To Top