Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Reactions of chlorosulfonic acid
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 14:45
Reactions of chlorosulfonic acid

I have been experimenting with chlorosulfonic acid lately. I tested its reactions with many oxoacid metal salts (some of them are permanganate, nitrite, dichromate, nitrate). This stuff reacts in an amazing way with most oxoacid salts, but visually, the reactions with permanganate and dichromate are the most beautiful and I absolutely want to share these:

https://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/HSO3Cl/inde...

The general pattern behind the reactions is that the acid is capable of replacing an -O-M group (where M is the metal, e.g. K or Na) by Cl. E.g. With sodum nitrite you get replacement as follows:

O=N-O-Na + HOSO2Cl ---> O=N-Cl + HOSO2ONa (nitrosyl chloride and sodium bisulfate)

With the permanganate ion and dichromate ion, this leads to particularly interesting and visually stunning products.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 7-2-2020 at 18:30

This is really interesting experiment! Where did you get this chemical in current EU chemophobia?

Chlorosulfonic acid is great compound to preparation of polychalcogen a polyhalogen cations from elements. There is something about it.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-2-2020 at 08:52

Chlorosulonic acid can be purchased in NL (e.g. at Hinmeijer, Dulova), but also in Germany (S3 chemicals). Although it is very corrosive, it is not particularly toxic and it also is not suitable as a precursor for making explosives. Chemicals become regulated if they introduce a severe risk for being abused by terrorists or if they are a big risk for the environment, but not if they are corrosive or very reactive. Hence, some remarkably reactive chemicals like chlorosulfonic acid remain available.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-2-2020 at 17:09

I have used it to use for making aryl sulfonyl chlorides. Still remember the time someone tried to use a plastic syringe with it, and the plastic dissolved. Fortunately they were wearing gloves. It is pretty harsh stuff to work with, but highly useful. Never even thought about mixing it with inorganics, I guess I have organic tunnel vision. Interesting reactions, however. Good luck.

Go To Top