Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Properties of metaperiodic acid?
Draeger
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly getting ready for new projects

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 15:50
Properties of metaperiodic acid?

I found a (potential) offer for metaperiodic acid and I thought it sounded really interesting. So I looked it up and looked through many sites, but I couldn't find any source for its properties.

Does anyone here know anything about it?

Collected elements:
Al, Cu, Ga, C (coal), S, Zn, Na

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:
NaOH; NaHCO3; MnCl2; MnCO3; CuSO4; FeSO4; aq. 30-33% HCl; aq. NaClO; aq. 9,5% ammonia; aq. 94-96% H2SO4; aq. 3% H2O2

Organic:
citric acid, sodium acetate, sodium citrate, petroleum, mineral oil
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 10-2-2020 at 23:40

Your question is very general, and hence we cannot give specific answers.

Periodic acid is a strong oxidizer. Salts of periodic acid, such as KIO4, NaIO4, and Na3H2IO6 also are strong oxidizers and they also form many interesting complexes with transition metals in unusually high oxidation states.
It can be used in organic chemistry to split diols with the two OH-groups on adjacent carbon atoms, with the HO-group and broken carbon bond connected to an O=group.
Periodates.

If I look at your signature to the list of collected compounds, and if I look at your posts, then, however, I think it is better to first try to get some other more common and basic chemicals. Periodates and periodic acid are expensive and are not the first thing for an amateur lab. If you want to do interesting experiments with these compounds, then you also need other reagents to do the experiments with.

I have written a web page about starting a home lab, it may be interesting for you. It also contains info on which chemicals to obtain as a starter.

https://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/misc/homelab.htm...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT(woelen): Moved thread from organic chemistry to chemistry in general.

[Edited on 11-2-20 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
10-2-2020 at 23:41
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2020 at 05:31

Quote: Originally posted by Draeger  
I found a (potential) offer for metaperiodic acid and I thought it sounded really interesting. So I looked it up and looked through many sites, but I couldn't find any source for its properties.

I think your google is broken when I googled it and got lots of info, its got a wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_acid

Its probably described in one of the inorganic books in our library too

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
Draeger
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slowly getting ready for new projects

[*] posted on 11-2-2020 at 10:24

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Your question is very general, and hence we cannot give specific answers.

Periodic acid is a strong oxidizer. Salts of periodic acid, such as KIO4, NaIO4, and Na3H2IO6 also are strong oxidizers and they also form many interesting complexes with transition metals in unusually high oxidation states.
It can be used in organic chemistry to split diols with the two OH-groups on adjacent carbon atoms, with the HO-group and broken carbon bond connected to an O=group.
Periodates.

If I look at your signature to the list of collected compounds, and if I look at your posts, then, however, I think it is better to first try to get some other more common and basic chemicals. Periodates and periodic acid are expensive and are not the first thing for an amateur lab. If you want to do interesting experiments with these compounds, then you also need other reagents to do the experiments with.

I have written a web page about starting a home lab, it may be interesting for you. It also contains info on which chemicals to obtain as a starter.

https://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/misc/homelab.htm...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT(woelen): Moved thread from organic chemistry to chemistry in general.

[Edited on 11-2-20 by woelen]

Ah. Okay. I asked so unspecifically since I really had no idea what the compound was. Or I thought I didn't, at least.

Guessing from your answer, metaperiodic acid is the same as the normal periodic acid? Because I did find answers to what periodic acid was, but I assumed periodic acid and metaperiodic acid had different properties.

I'll take a look at the site and steer away from this compound for now.

Thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by wg48temp9  

I think your google is broken when I googled it and got lots of info, its got a wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periodic_acid

Its probably described in one of the inorganic books in our library too

I had no idea that periodic and metaperiodic acid were the same thing. Sorry.

Collected elements:
Al, Cu, Ga, C (coal), S, Zn, Na

Collected compounds:

Inorganic:
NaOH; NaHCO3; MnCl2; MnCO3; CuSO4; FeSO4; aq. 30-33% HCl; aq. NaClO; aq. 9,5% ammonia; aq. 94-96% H2SO4; aq. 3% H2O2

Organic:
citric acid, sodium acetate, sodium citrate, petroleum, mineral oil
wg48temp9
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-2-2020 at 11:09

I had no idea that periodic and metaperiodic acid were the same thing. Sorry.

I did know what it was too which is why I googled it.

Most chemicals have various names which can make it difficult to find info on them. Some times when you google something the results do not look relevant because the displayed results don't mention the search term but frequently it is mentioned if you go to the site. Wiki and many sites give synonyms for compounds.which is why they appear in the search results.

I am wg48 but not on my usual pc hence the temp handle.
Thank goodness for Fleming and the fungi.
Old codger' lives matters, wear a mask and help save them.
Be aware of demagoguery, keep your frontal lobes fully engaged.
I don't know who invented mRNA vaccines but they should get a fancy medal and I hope they made a shed load of money from it.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 11-2-2020 at 13:42

The common form of periodic acid is the so-called ortho form: H5IO6. A better description of this acid is IO(OH)5. With some difficulty, this orthoperiodic acid can be converted to metaperiodic acid:

H5IO6 ---> HIO4 + 2 H2O

Salts also exist in multiple forms. I have some NaIO4 (sodium metaperiodate), and I once made Na3H2IO6 (sodium hydrogen orthoperiodate, which has three hydrogens replaced by sodium) from NaI, NaOH and Cl2.

There are many anionic species, which have orthoforms and metaforms. The metaforms can be thought of as being derived from orthoforms by splitting off water or basic oxides.

Two other examples are:
- ortho/meta phosphoric acid: H3PO4 and HPO3 (the latter in fact is a polymeric species, and better can be written as (HPO3)n with large n).
- ortho/meta vanadate ion: VO4(3-) ion and VO3(-) ion. The latter again is a polymeric species.
There are more (e.g. from tellurium, second row transition metals in high oxidation states)

Ortho/meta forms also exist in covalent compounds (e.g. certain organics, esters which can be present in ortho form (e.g. tetramethyl orthocarbonate vs. dimethyl metacarbonate). Orthocarbonic acid is C(OH)4, while metacarbonic acid (the standard stuff) is CO(OH)2, usually written as H2CO3).

I hope this explains a little bit the meaning of ortho and meta.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
G-Coupled
Hazard to Others

Mood: Slightly triturated

[*] posted on 11-2-2020 at 20:17

You have a talent for explaining things well. :cool:

Go To Top