Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pedometer-eating pig's poo starts farm fire
RedDwarf
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 165
Registered: 16-2-2019
Location: UK (North West)
Member Is Online

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 06:13
Pedometer-eating pig's poo starts farm fire



https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-5...

"Fire crews were called to a farm near Bramham, Leeds, at about 14:00 GMT on Saturday after copper from the pedometer's batteries apparently reacted with the pig's excrement and dry bedding."

I'm struggling to see what reaction copper might have initiated or catalysed in order to start the fire - can anyone enlighten me?
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Morgan
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1670
Registered: 28-12-2010
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 06:39


Perhaps salts or urine shorted out the battery in the meter.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
RedDwarf
Hazard to Others
***




Posts: 165
Registered: 16-2-2019
Location: UK (North West)
Member Is Online

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 10:15


Yes I could understand a short causing a fire, it was the idea of a) there being copper in the battery that b) "reacted" with the excrement and bedding. There could be copper in a Li-ion battery collector foil, but again this wouldn't react with anything as far as I can see. Probably just crappy BBC reporting as usual with no-one actually knowing anything about science.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Morgan
International Hazard
*****




Posts: 1670
Registered: 28-12-2010
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2020 at 10:39


One other thought is maybe in the process of being chomped on, the battery was primed to eventually short out internally.
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top