Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Found a chemical and need a little help....
FLchem10
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2011 at 10:45
Found a chemical and need a little help....

My dad's old lab was being shut down to move into a bigger so he let me grab a few things left....

Potassium ferricyanide is the one I really dont know much about, I meen I read about "what it is" but any ideas on what I can use it for???
THANKS
madscientist
National Hazard
Thread Moved
18-2-2011 at 10:59
cyanureeves
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-2-2011 at 11:38

some use it on photo paper as it dissolves silver compounds probably old photo stuff.some guy on youtube does art work with it on photo paper as prussian blue because it is also light sensitive.like x-ray looking copies he smears it on the paper and puts leaves and stuff on it and the sun does the rest.also as a less toxic alternative for silver cyanide plating: potassium or sodium hydroxide,silver chloride and the ferricyanide or ferrocyanide and boiled for a while.i have used both for silver plating brass.as a matter of fact thats all i've used.the stuff is not that cheap to use for producing hcn.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 19-2-2011 at 14:15

This compound is K3Fe(CN)6, a red/brown solid. It does not dissolve silver, but it is capable of oxidizing finely divided silver metal, itself being reduced to ferrocyanide (ferri goes to ferro). This is used for so-called toning of images in photography, as ferrocyanide forms brightly colored substances with many metal ion.

Ferricyanide is much less toxic than cyanide. The cyanide is bound strongly to iron and even in dilute strong acids you don't get HCN gas. This ferricyanide is an intdresting chemical. You can use it for many eperiments with nice colors without fearing dangerous gasses.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net

Go To Top