Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: SnI4 and TiI4
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 23-2-2011 at 05:17

sorry for the double post , if i made TiCl4 i can reacting it with HF :

TiCl4 + 4NaF -> 4NaCl + TiF4

and i am in working to find a way to make some TiCl4 with the apparatus i described at my last post.

I never asked for this.
Jor
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 05:02

I am also gonna try to make TiI4 this day or tomorrow. I will use dichloromethane instead of chloroform as a solvent (I only have about 60mL of chloroform, I have 350mL CCl4 but thats only more toxic). I see you reflux your chloroform during reaction. Do you know if the reaction also proceeds nicely at RT?
I will be using very fine titanium turnings, but not really a powder.
Because with DCM I can't reach the reflux temp of chloroform I wonder if the reaction will proceed.
In any case I will wash the titanium with 0,1M HCl containing some NaF untill a good amount of H2 evolves, then I will decant, rinse with small amount of water, acetone (or IPA) and finally DCM to activate the material.

[Edited on 15-4-2011 by Jor]
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 15-4-2011 at 07:50

if you lets it for 1-4 week it will work at rt( i already have tested it) but if you want to make it in a day or so it should be very hot or refluxing , washing is nessecary. try to dilute as mush you can your solution , and than boil it to get the crystal, or the restion is very hard to see.

good luck!!

I never asked for this.
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-7-2011 at 16:56

My metals and iodine are going to arrive soon.
I don't have any chloroform, is there any way to perform such reaction(synthesis TiI4, SnI4) without a solvent?
possibly using an excess of iodine and then just boiling the iodine away?
I got a good amount of acetone, but I think it will react with the substance and cannot be used as a solvent...

[Edited on 3-7-2011 by Mixell]
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 09:26
Titanium tetraiodide from Industrial and Engineering Chemistry

Picked this ref up in Brauer (la book is in the forums library).
He mentions this method among others.

Because this is from a bound volume I had to take a scalpel
to it and remove the pages for scanning. No extra charge.

TII4-IEC.jpg - 511kB TII4-IEC-2.jpg - 481kB TII4-IEC-3.jpg - 553kB
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 10:08

Thank you for the post wizard.
I guess its decided, I'll use an excess of iodine. The titanium/iodine mix will be heated in a sealed vessel (with a pop-up stopper) to about 125-130C. After the reaction is completed, the vessel will be heated to 185-200C and all of the excess iodine will be evaporated. And it should leave a quite pure TiI4.
Hope the shipment will arrive soon...
The WiZard is In
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 10:31

Quote: Originally posted by Mixell  
Thank you for the post wizard.
I guess its decided, I'll use an excess of iodine. The titanium/iodine mix will be heated in a sealed vessel (with a pop-up stopper) to about 125-130C. After the reaction is completed, the vessel will be heated to 185-200C and all of the excess iodine will be evaporated. And it should leave a quite pure TiI4.
Hope the shipment will arrive soon...

I would suggest reading Brauer's Handbook of Preparative
Inorganic Chemistry
, p. 1205-09. Titanium (IV), Zirconium (IV)
and Thorium (IV) Iodides. The book can be DL'd. It is in
the library where science is often most mad. Granted his methods
are nuanced... big time!
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-8-2011 at 14:27

After successfully synthesizing SnI4, I'm planning to venture into the more slower reacting metals, such as titanium, tantalum, tungsten and niobium. I;m planning to start with titanium, but I would very much like to replace chloroform with another solvent, like hexane. Is it possible? or the iodine will react with the hexane to form HI and some iodinated derivatives of the hexane with the formula C6I(n)H(14-n)?
Also, after I will be done with the titanium I'm planning to try tungsten, but I didn't found any information on WI6 (as opposed to WCl6) but found some info about WI4 and WI2, which one of this species would be created in a solution of iodine at room temperature?
And finally, as I mentioned, I'm planning to do the reaction at room temperature, I got time (weeks and even more) to wait for it to fully react, but will the reaction proceed at this temperature at all?
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2011 at 03:50

I'm not sure whether iodine is capable of halogenating heptane at RT. If so, yields will be poor, I predict. A question for the organikers, I feel...

WCl6 can be synthesised by direct union of the elements but it takes higher than RT temperatures to so so. I strongly suspect this might also be the case for any iodides. WI6 may be a bit of a stretch (no pun intended): to fit 6 quite large iodine atoms 'around' one just barely larger tungsten atom may be pushing it a bit?
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-8-2011 at 05:01

So probably WI4 is the species that will be produced at this reaction. May be dissolve some iodine in hexane and let it stand for a few days or weeks? If the iodinated species of hexane are colorless, then if the solution will turn colorless or the purple color will faint, then it means that the hexane was iodinated.
Bromination of hexane seems to be quite quick at RT, so I guess iodination will proceed too, seems like chloroform is the better option after all.

[Edited on 13-8-2011 by Mixell]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-8-2011 at 05:13

Yes on the heptane/iodine.

Re. WI4, apparently it decomposes before melting which would suggest low temperature synthesis. What will be your source of tungsten?
Mixell
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-8-2011 at 05:17

Tungsten powder.
There is also a WI2 species, although I didn't find much information about it.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2012 at 17:46

Ti + 2 I2 → TiI4
"This reaction can be reversed to produce highly pure films of Ti metal.[4]"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_tetraiodide#cite_note-...
Would it be possible to make a thin film of titanium inside of a quartz tube via TiI4 vapor deposition followed by thermal decomposition of the titanium tetraiodide? I wonder if it would stick or react with the quartz in some way?
tetrahedron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-11-2012 at 17:56

at the very least the Ti film being a metal probably expands a lot upon heating, stressing the more rigid quartz substrate (if that's the use you have in mind).
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-11-2012 at 18:16

Basically, I just wanted to coat the inside of one of these quartz tubes I have with a very thin film of titanium dioxide ultimately to create some pretty colors playing on the interference of light.
It was just something I thought might be fun to try, anodizing the titanium coating into an artistic "Peter Max" effect if you will.
That is a good point about the coefficient of expansion between SiO2 and Ti.

quartz.jpg - 17kB
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2012 at 07:05

Materials and procedure for TiI4 - A major motion picture of glassware.
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01201a006
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2012 at 07:15

"The gaseous metal tetraiodide is decomposed on a white hot tungsten filament (1400 °C). As more metal is deposited the filament conducts better and thus a greater electric current is required to maintain the temperature of the filament. The process can be performed in the span of several hours or several weeks, depending on the particular setup."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Titan-crystal_bar.JPG
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_bar_process
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2012 at 10:28

Quote: Originally posted by tetrahedron  
at the very least the Ti film being a metal probably expands a lot upon heating, stressing the more rigid quartz substrate (if that's the use you have in mind).
That's unlikely to be much of a problem in this case. There about a 10^4:1 thickness ratio between the glass and a thin metal film. There will be an interfacial force, still, but that's the stress. The strain will predominantly deform the film (compressing it as it heats up) rather than the glass. The risk is not breaking the glass, but delaminating the film. I would guess that Ti bonds fairly tightly, as its inner layer would partially oxidize and meld with the glass matrix.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2012 at 19:10

A method of TiO2 deposition on glass, not enough color for my purposes though and a rather involved process.
Lab Report: Dr Charlie Dunnill on chemical vapour deposition
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjjQf12FgUQ
I would like something more like this though it would be nice to produce less kitsch-like colors or isolate a few colors and patterns that work well together.
Anodizing Titanium and Niobium: Science and Art Combined
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzShFSj3xxA#t=1m26s
Loud creations made by vaporizing titanium in a vacuum I believe. Not a route I could afford.
https://www.google.com/search?q=titanium+quartz&hl=en&am...
Titanium films
"There have been many studies which have concluded that the adhesion of metal films to oxide substrates is directly related to the free energy of oxide formation of the deposited material. That being the case, very strong adhesion should occur for titanium to the quartz substrate. A titanium film was sputter deposited on a quartz substrate."
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/1976001...

[Edited on 17-11-2012 by Morgan]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top