Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sodium Percarbonate
guyp
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-2-2011 at 18:31
Sodium Percarbonate

Hello I have some questions regarding sodium percarbonate (Na2CO3ยท1.5H2O2) that I haven't found posted,

My understanding is that because of the pH of the carbonate the peroxide decomposes quickly making it difficult to create a strong solution (30+%) of available H2O2.

I would like to know if it would be possible to buffer the solution with Anhydrous Sodium Acetate in order to make it more stable to decomposition.

The use of Anhydrous Sodium Acetate would be to avoid adding any more water than is already there.

Would it be a reasonable workup to freeze separate this followed by vacuum filtration if necessary to remove any acetate or carbonate that salts out in order to concentrate it, repeating as necessary?

Also assuming the equation is balanced first,

If H2SO4 were added in a catalytic amount and with the addition of an acid in order to create a peracid, would the buffered acid be suitable to oxidize alkenes or would there simply be too much acetate, carbonate, and sulfate dissolved for it to be suitably effective?

The procedure I have in mind is http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/prep.asp?prep=cv4p0860

Thank you for your time and patience.

Go To Top