Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Prussian blue test
Science4561
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2020 at 08:11
Prussian blue test

I have potassium cyanide that I need to run testing on, because I’m unsure whether it’s really just that.

Now, I understand there are several different methods to use for this matter. One of them is using this method to create Prussian blue:
https://gfycat.com/constantbreakablehypsilophodon

Is it a must to do this test under a fume hood in lab gear?
I understand that acidifying and then pouring it in that solution will make gas?

How would I test it, in your view, in the safest possible way?
I really need to know it’s cyanide.

Thank you.
MidLifeChemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: precipitatory

[*] posted on 5-12-2020 at 08:39

Here are some methods:

Add ammonia to Nickel Sulfate until you get a deep blue color. This is a hexaamine complex.

Then add your cyanide. There will be a precipitate which will redissolve, forming a yellow (CN-)4 complex with Nickel.

Alternatively, you can try to dissolve AgBr or AgI in your a solution of your cyanide salt. If it is cyanide, it will dissolve Silver halides forming the Ag(CN)2 - complex.

There are also various complexes with Copper (II). Your cyanide solution should dissolve black CuS.

Good luck! And be careful. But this should be safer than a method involving gas.

[Edited on 12/5/2020 by MidLifeChemist]
Science4561
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-12-2020 at 09:26

Quote: Originally posted by MidLifeChemist  
Here are some methods:

Add ammonia to Nickel Sulfate until you get a deep blue color. This is a hexaamine complex.

Then add your cyanide. There will be a precipitate which will redissolve, forming a yellow (CN-)4 complex with Nickel.

Alternatively, you can try to dissolve AgBr or AgI in your a solution of your cyanide salt. If it is cyanide, it will dissolve Silver halides forming the Ag(CN)2 - complex.

There are also various complexes with Copper (II). Your cyanide solution should dissolve black CuS.

Good luck! And be careful. But this should be safer than a method involving gas.

Thanks a lot. On the hexamine complex method, what would be required on the percentage of the NH3?
Also, how much cyanide should I add ?
Did I understand you correct if the solution should turn yellow in the end? Or its just a momentary change into yellow?

[Edited on 6-12-2020 by Science4561]
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-12-2020 at 09:30

Quote: Originally posted by MidLifeChemist  

There are also various complexes with Copper (II).

Cu(II) ions will oxidise CN- to (CN)2
That's not what we want to do.

Go To Top