Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Di-alkylation of urea with aromatic aldehydes in dmso
vannylaholic
Harmless

Mood: inquisitive

smile.gif posted on 5-12-2020 at 23:39
Di-alkylation of urea with aromatic aldehydes in dmso

I have started a series of small scale reactions to form the di imines from pure anhydrous urea and aromatic aldehydes in dmso . just before I start I was trying to find a proper reducing agent , and I really want to stay away from mercury salts and hydrides . Anybody with any suggestions for a reduction method for imines would be greatly appreciated thank you.

[Edited on 6-12-2020 by vannylaholic]
Antigua
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-12-2020 at 14:10

Could you elaborate? I know that Zn/HCl system is okay for reducing imines, although quite dirty too. Thiourea dioxide seems to lead to a mixture of the ketone and primary amine, so that's not many option that I can think of for you. Borohydride systems really are the best ones we know, if I'm not mistaken.
vannylaholic
Harmless

Mood: inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-12-2020 at 17:20

Funny you mention zinc/ hydrochloric acid also koh/zinc dust method I just attempted that and got miniscule yields. I think I'm just going to have to buy some borohydride. And the reaction I'm doing is 2 phenylpropanal and urea in dimethyl sulfoxide , I have formed the imine and good yields. I was experimenting with different methods of reduction but and not having any luck. My original basis for this reaction was to see if urea can be utilized in the formation of 2 phenyl propyl Amine.

Go To Top