Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Report on purification of octyl acetate w/ DES, and Keq of fischer esterification
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 14:03
Report on purification of octyl acetate w/ DES, and Keq of fischer esterification

Neither a deep eutectic solvent made of glycerin and choline chloride, nor water, were able to extract 1-octanol from octyl acetate. However, extraction is unnecessary because the equilibrium constant of the reaction of 1-octanol and acetic acid to form octyl acetate is about 38, so if a 3 fold molar excess of acetic acid is used, the octyl acetate will be about 99% pure. a dean-stark solvent could be used to improve purity even more.

Attachment: paper2.docx (2.8MB)
This file has been downloaded 254 times

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Fery
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-12-2020 at 23:31

Cou this is very positive information. Personally I would go via the route using Dean-Stark trap apparatus too.
This is just my idea, but if you would like to completely destroy alcohol (maybe its strong smell is still noticeable in the scent of your ester?) then couldn't adding a little of acetic anhydride or acetyl chloride into the product containing 99% octyl acetate + 1% octanol further remove the octanol by producing the same ester?

Go To Top